Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

LAPD chief: Shooting protests may have roots in anti-immigra

LAPD chief: Shooting protests may have roots in anti-immigration mood, feelings of powerlessness

September 11, 2010 | 7:57 am

LAPD Chief Charlie Back said he was surprised by the protests and unrest that erupted in the Westlake district after an officer-involved shooting.

Beck believes the shooting of the man, a day laborer like many others in the neighborhood, quickly became a flashpoint that brought to the surface larger issues facing the impoverished community of immigrants from Guatemala and other Central American countries west of downtown L.A., one of the most densely populated areas of the country.

"This community feels disconnected from the city," he said in an interview with The Times' Joel Rubin. "They feel like they don't have a voice. I think they feel a lot of pressure because of the anti-immigrant sentiment that runs through a very common conversation in America right now."

Beck noted that Westlake has a highly transitory population, with immigrants from Latin America settling there when they arrive in L.A. only to move into other parts of the city as soon as they can. The eruption of anger and hostility laid bare for Beck the fact that the LAPD has fallen short in maintaining a level of trust and close ties with an ever-evolving population whose community leaders are often hard to find.

"When there is no identified leadership, no relationship established with the community's leaders, then the police department is ill-prepared or ill-equipped to handle controversial issues. There is nobody who can take our message and who can deliver their message," he said.

Read Joel Rubin's full interview with Beck here.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 0750.story

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... sness.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Your kidding ? right?

These are illegal foreign nationals for the most part
    They are here in violation of our immigration laws along with every other
    type of lawbreaking

Why on earth would any police dept not be rooting them out and
    turning them over to Ice?

Oh in true Villaraigosa fashion, pity the criminals and vilify the police after he handcuffed them!!!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

impoverished community of immigrants from Guatemala and other Central American countries west of downtown L.A., one of the most densely populated areas of the country.
    Densely populated because they're packing 20 people into one family apartments. I've mentioned before that in my neighborhood Chinese families are living in two bedroom apartments where one family occupies one bedroom, a second family occupies the second bedroom and a third family lives in the living room. All share the bathroom and kitchen. It is what I see looking out my back window into the back windows of the building one street over. The rent is at least 2grand a month and probably more than that by now.

The saddest thing about this is that Americans will eventually be forced into the same type of living arrangements.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard
    The saddest thing about this is that Americans will eventually be forced into the same type of living arrangements.
    Some American families have been living on the street or in cars.

Does no one enforce building codes where you live? There are building codes, yes?
    “Claiming nobody is listening to your phone calls is irrelevant – computers do and they are not being destroyed afterwards. Why build a storage facility for stuff nobody listens to?.” Martin Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by Watson

Does no one enforce building codes where you live? There are building codes, yes?
    Just like Immigration Laws IAs get sanctuary. All the houses on my block are two family homes. One only need to look at the newly added electric meters, clearly visible from the street, to realize that house has been illegally subdivided but nothing is done.

Just another example of why some call it Lost Angeles.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Watson

Just like Immigration Laws IAs get sanctuary. All the houses on my block are two family homes. One only need to look at the newly added electric meters, clearly visible from the street, to realize that house has been illegally subdivided but nothing is done.
    If like here property taxes are paid soley on the house value, they do not take into account the number of persons who are tapping resources based on those taxes, such as schools, trash collections, etc. Can there be a referendum started that, after a certain number of people have been reached per square foot, an extra property tax is levied to account for disproportionate use of taxes? I know it is a stretch to clearing up your particular situation, but with the just released article of millions going to benefits, it could be good timing.

Have faith, my friend, citizens across the country are waking up to the real costs of these insane pro-illegal policies.
    “Claiming nobody is listening to your phone calls is irrelevant – computers do and they are not being destroyed afterwards. Why build a storage facility for stuff nobody listens to?.” Martin Armstrong