Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Latino leader: Laws hurt business

Latino leader: Laws hurt business

Thursday, 02 November 2006
    By KENT JACKSON

A Latino leader in Hazleton agreed with a federal judge who said the city’s Illegal Immigration Relief Act and landlord-tenant ordinance could do “irreparable harm” to businesses. Lechuga.jpg“The Latino business is affected. Some owners think of moving,” Dr. Agapito Lopez said on Wednesday, a day after federal Judge James Munley issued an order restraining Hazleton from enforcing the laws for two weeks.

Munley, in his opinion in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania in Scranton, said the city laws could do “irreparable harm” to businesses that cater to Latinos.

The restraining order applies until Nov. 14. By then, Munley might rule on a request by the law’s opponents to issue a longer-lasting injunction.
    Lopez called the decision a small milestone.

“We shall have to see what’s coming next on the 14th,” he said.
    Considered in tandem, the Hazleton laws penalize landlords for renting to illegal immigrants and businesses for hiring illegal immigrants.

Mayor Louis Barletta, the prime supporter of the laws, said people have moved out of Hazleton since the laws were introduced, but businesses have to adjust by catering to the customers who remain.

Business owners such as Jose Lechuga said the laws caused a downturn at shops, including the grocery store that he has operated for five years at 121 N. Wyoming St.

Because of slow store sales, Lechuga started delivering specialty foods to customers in places where people moved after leaving Hazleton.

“I go sell outside – every day 200 miles for sales. I’m working more for less money. I kill myself but try to survive,” Lechuga said.

Before opening the grocery store, he ran a cleaning business and sometimes thinks that he should have stuck with that.

“Why not go back to the cleaning business? I worry because of discrimination. Maybe I go knock on doors and people don’t want to open to me,” Lechuga said.

He said he is thinking of moving his store to another state.
    At 113-115 E. Diamond Ave., the Mexican Lopez Store is locked and a sign advertises the building for sale.

“We had many new grocery stores open. Maybe our population can’t support that many any longer, but they can’t point the finger at the city. I’m trying to make sure that customers feel safe coming into their business,” Barletta said.

He said some long-established businesses moved out of downtown because their customers grew skittish about the area.

While some businesses closed, others opened, such as Michael’s Taxi that Cesar Ludena started on Monday, Barletta said.

Meanwhile, Roberto Rivera said he is holding on at the Andrea Multiservices store at 100 N. Wyoming St. “It’s only my wife and I,” Rivera said.

Manny Bisono, who opened Hazleton Food Supermarket on North Wyoming Street in March, two months before the city began considering immigration laws, said business is slow now.

“It’s coming better,” Rivera said. “I like this town. For my family, it’s much better than New York.”

From outside Hazleton, a team of attorneys has volunteered to help the city administration defend the ordinances, even to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary, Barletta said.

Lopez, too, said the case might reach the nation’s highest court. Before then, he hopes Congress will make the laws in Hazleton and other communities that have followed Hazleton’s lead moot by deciding on a national immigration law.

“The Senate has approved a just outcome. We hope when they reconvene, the House will have a positive outcome,” Lopez said. “This will discredit all laws being done over the country.”

In the Senate’s bill, illegal immigrants can work toward legal status and citizenship by paying taxes and fines.

The House bill, primarily, deals with enforcement of borders and punishment of illegal immigrants.

“The Senate has approved a just outcome. We hope when they reconvene, the House will have a positive outcome,” Lopez said.
    You're out of your illegal-loving mind Lopez.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Because of slow store sales, Lechuga started delivering specialty foods to customers in places where people moved after leaving Hazleton.

“I go sell outside – every day 200 miles for sales. I’m working more for less money. I kill myself but try to survive,” Lechuga said.
    How's it feel to be AMERICAN, little man??

Get your arse out there and commute just like many of us do. OR..
    go back to where you came from and stop complaining.

Shouldn't have catered to ILLEGALS in the first place. Then Americans would have been a part of your loyal customer base and you wouldn't
    be in this position to start with.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    A Latino leader in Hazleton agreed with a federal judge who said the city’s Illegal Immigration Relief Act and landlord-tenant ordinance could do “irreparable harm” to businesses. Lechuga.jpg“The Latino business is affected.
    Isn't knowingly catering to illegal immigrants basically the same as aiding and abetting them? Isn't that in violation of federal immigration laws? I have a real problem with any business that has to rely on illegal immigrants to survive!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

John, is that picture taken in Raleigh? If so, then where?

Quote Originally Posted by dem4labor
    John, is that picture taken in Raleigh? If so, then where?
    The picture is from the actual news article. However, I have seen similar around the local area.