Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Latino NY Assemblyman not happy with Clinton replacement

ews From Assemblyman Peter M. Rivera

News from Assemblyman Peter M. Rivera

For more information contact: Guillermo Martinez, 646-246-6572
    Paterson's Anti-Immigrant Senate Pick Criticized by Peter M. Rivera

The following is a statement by Assemblyman Peter M. Rivera, the longest-serving Hispanic lawmaker in the New York State Legislature, on Governor Paterson's appointment of Representative Kirsten Gillibrand as New York's Junior Senator

ALBANY, NY (01/23/2009; 1639)(readMedia)-- I am troubled by Governor Paterson's choice to replace Hillary Clinton as New York's Junior Senator. I find no compelling reason for the Governor to select a conservative Democrat to carry on the progressive work of now Secretary of State Clinton.

In fact, Rep. Gillibrand's stand on a range of issues is counter to the desires of the majority of New Yorkers, including her hard-line stand on immigration, which borders on xenophobia. The Governor had a long list of extremely qualified and talented New Yorkers to consider that would not have created the opposition he will face. None of the other candidates have an anti-immigration record.

His choice will no doubt anger New York's huge immigrant communities and could go as far as creating political obstacles to meaningful immigration reform efforts of our new President. It is clear to me that Rep. Gillibrand will face a primary and create splits among New York Democrats that will only serve to damage our party.

The Governor and his top aids should have reviewed Rep. Gillibrand's statements on immigration and reviewed the anti-immigration legislation she sponsored and cosponsored.

Rep. Gillibrand has, as constituents, thousands of minorities and business interests that rely and benefit from immigration, yet she has opposed amnesty, wants a guest worker program that basically serves as 21st Century slavery, and wants to use local police to enforce federal immigration law, against the advice of state law enforcement groups.

Her support for more walls and guards on our southern border ignores the reality that almost 60% of our undocumented immigrants are foreigners who overstay their visas. They are from all over our planet, not just people crossing the Rio Grande.

http://readme.readmedia.com/news/show/P ... era/353699

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A Democrat that has brains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Her support for more walls and guards on our southern border ignores the reality that almost 60% of our undocumented immigrants are foreigners who overstay their visas. They are from all over our planet, not just people crossing the Rio Grande.
    Riiiight, so let's ignore the 80-90% of illegals that cross over the mexican border. We gotta start somewhere compadre, get over it.

Paterson shocked me with his pick, but I LOVE IT!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Yes! Well done Gov. Paterson.

My ...my and honest American Congresswoman.... GREAT
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This has been some good news in weeks of bad news! I hope she can stay in and get re-lected. It always amazes me how little tolerance the so-called party of tolerance (the Dems) have. Boy when they don't get their way they really cry don't they ? Even when it is someone from their own party. They called her a xenophob???? I'm sick of the progressive lefties stereotyping everyone else.

Re: Latino NY Assemblyman not happy with Clinton replacement

I guess these OBLers think if they lie enough times people will believe it. 40% of illegals are visa overstayers, not 60%. And half of the overstayers are from Latin America! So they did cross over the Rio Grande, only it was at an official entry port and not out in the desert.

She sounds like she has more guts than some of our Republicans up there who seem to fear speaking out and have lost their back bone and party identity

More good news...I watched the confrimation hearing on Rep. Ray LaHood as Secretary of Transportation ( replacing Mary Peters remember her?)

Dorgan questioned him on the Mexican pilot truck program...Reminded him of what Peters pulled, and that he had voted against funding that program along with Dorgan and the Majority, said he would like to see in it shut down with in 2 month... Of course LaHood agreed with him but said it really is up to Obama
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

In fact, Rep. Gillibrand's stand on a range of issues is counter to the desires of the majority of New Yorkers, including her hard-line stand on immigration, which borders on xenophobia. The Governor had a long list of extremely qualified and talented New Yorkers to consider that would not have created the opposition he will face. None of the other candidates have an anti-immigration record.
    And because she has a different thought on immigration he calls her a xemophobia.

xen⋅o⋅pho⋅bi⋅a   /ˌzɛnəˈfoʊbiə, ˌzinə-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [zen-uh-foh-bee-uh, zee-nuh-] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Do these people really know the definition of words they use or do they use them to try to impress others?
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast