Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Latinos planning economic boycott

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metr ... ycott.html

Latinos planning economic boycott

Purpose is to show role in U.S. economy

By Hiram Soto
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

April 15, 2006

A worker boycott announced for May 1 in support of immigrant rights is picking up steam in San Diego and across the nation, with organizers calling for more marches that day.

Locally, several Latino-owned businesses have announced they will close that day. Massive marches here and elsewhere have energized immigrants, some of whom said they planned to stay home from work May 1, despite facing an uncertain future.

“I'm not afraid,” said Eduardo Miliche, who has two jobs, including one at a Red Lobster, and who participated in last Sunday's march in downtown San Diego.

“I'm here legally, I have all my documents, my Social Security number and everything,” he continued. “But a lot of my friends don't. I'm doing it for them.”

The organizers of marches in cities across the nation have scheduled a summit in Chicago on April 22 to complete their strategy for the Great American Boycott, meant to underscore the value of Latino workers to the nation's economy.

In San Diego, organizers are working out the details of a march May 1 that might take them to the border, where they would meet demonstrators from Tijuana.

In Mexico, Catholic bishops from border cities are calling on their faithful to support the boycott by not crossing into the United States that day or buying or consuming U.S.-made products or services.

The boycott, however, has not been embraced by all the groups who participated in last Sunday's march to downtown San Diego that drew at least 50,000 people. Some are planning an alternate event that day.

The boycott's supporters are protesting a bill passed by the House in December that would criminalize undocumented workers and penalize those who help them. They are calling for Congress to pass immigration reform that includes a path to legalization for those in the country illegally.

Spanish-language media, which played a key role in disseminating information about the marches, and at times promoted them, is abuzz with talk about the boycott.

Companies, meanwhile, are reviewing their policies and planning for a potential staffing shortage.

San Diego-based Souplantation circulated a memo, in English and Spanish, reminding its employees that unexcused absences carry the risk of being fired.

“We encourage all of our employees to find an alternative method of expressing opinion as opposed to the recommended walkout that is being publicized,” the memo said.

In San Diego, a used-car lot, a barbershop and a marketing agency, all owned by Latinos, announced they will close May 1 to support the workers.

During an informal check of four chain restaurants in the county, Latino workers said they planned to ask for the day off or to skip work, though they expressed concern about the consequences.

Hundreds of thousands of immigrants participated in marches across the nation last Monday.

In just one sector, meat production, which has a significant Latino work force, their absence was was felt. Cattle slaughter was down 28 percent and pig slaughter 16 percent compared to the week before, according to estimates from the U.S. Agriculture Department.

Dozens of workers were laid off in several East Coast cities after they missed work to participate in marches.

Some of the grass-roots organizations that helped stage massive rallies across the country last week said a boycott could hurt employees and their families.

The San Diego Catholic Diocese, along with other groups, is planning a family gathering the afternoon of May 1 at a park. The plan is to offer information about voter registration, citizenship and the immigration proposals in Congress.

“We think the boycott is going to hurt the community we are trying to help,” said Linda Arreola of the Justice for Immigrants Committee, which is part of the diocese.

Historically, Latino boycotts have not drawn significant support. Still, this one may be different. That's made some executives think about their work force.

“To me, the relationship with our staff is far more important than a single one-day event. And so I'm taking a little longer-term perspective on this and the relationship that I want to have with our staff and restaurants,” said Michael Mack, CEO of Garden Fresh Restaurant Corp., which owns Souplantation.

“But we will be prepared for whatever happens.”

Hiram Soto: (619) 293-2027; hiram.soto@enlacelink.com
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hot Dog! I know when I'm going shopping.

Wooo Hooo! Sounds like a good day to go to Wal-Mart! I can go to the store and not deal, with a bunch of people. Sounds like my kind of shopping day. I think, I will put that large purchase off until May 1st. You know what, I need to shop for my summer wardrobe and I need my summer haircut too. I can put that off until May 1st too.

Well instead of dancing around the Maypole, let's celebrate Mayfair by going shopping.

Now economically speaking, a one day financial boycott does not effect the economy because you will just spend your money the day before and the day after.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The San Diego Catholic Diocese, along with other groups, is planning a family gathering the afternoon of May 1 at a park. The plan is to offer information about voter registration, citizenship and the immigration proposals in Congress.
    if they are OFFERING information on voter registration to ILLEGALS, they will be in violation of the law and I don't care whether they're a priest or not, they need to be held accountable. There is NOTHING in the Bible, the Constitution or the laws of the United States that authorize criminal conduct.

In fact, Jesus asked Peter in Matthew 17

25: ". . . Who pays duties or taxes to the kings of this world? The citizens of the country or the foreigners?"

26: "The foreigners," answered Peter. "Well then," replied Jesus, "that means that the citizens don't have to pay.

27: "But we don't want to offend these people. So go to the lake and drop in a line; pull up the first fish you hook, and in its mouth you will find a coin worth enough for my Temple tax and yours; take it and pay them our taxes.

Matthew was the tax collector turned disciple and apostle

not only do these 'foreigners' offend the citizens and violate the laws of the country, the clergy are too.

Jesus drew crowds -- he NEVER incited insurrections and riots. According to Jesus the CITIZENS were free NOT the foreigners. Foreigners were neither free to offend the citizens nor free to break the law
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"