Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Latinos in U.S. say Iraq war top issue

Latinos in U.S. say Iraq war top issue

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_4800066

By Eunice Moscoso
    Cox News Service
    12/08/2006

Washington - U.S. Latinos believe the Iraq war is the No. 1 problem facing the country, a survey released Thursday found.

Among Latino U.S. citizens, 30 percent said the war was the most pressing issue, about 15 percent cited the economy, 8 percent said illegal immigration and 4 percent cited education, according to the independent survey funded by nine foundations, including the Ford Foundation and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.

Among noncitizens, 33 percent said the war was the top issue, 15 percent said illegal immigration, 12 percent cited the economy and about 5 percent said education.

The report also examined how Latinos identify themselves and found that 87 percent feel a "somewhat" or "very strong" Latino identity and 65 percent feel a "somewhat" or "very strong" American identity. The questions were separate, allowing respondents to choose more than one.

John A. Garcia, a political science professor at the University of Arizona and one of the researchers of the study, said the results show that U.S. Latinos feel a "multiplicity of identities."

"Identity is not an either-or possibility," he said at a forum at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, where the survey results were announced. "Being Latino is an American identity."

Findings are surprising

The survey also found that 60 percent of first-generation Latinos believe that being a Christian is "somewhat" or "very important" to being American and about 35 percent of first-generation Latinos believe that being white is a "somewhat" or "very important" to being American.

Researchers said those findings were surprising and needed further examination.

The survey also found that 51 percent of respondents said that Latino or Hispanic constitutes a different race and that most mark "other race" when asked to choose between black, white, Asian and others.

The Census Bureau considers "Hispanic" an ethnicity and stresses that Hispanics can be of any race.

The survey included 8,634 interviews with adults from a random sample of Latino households in 15 states and the District of Columbia metropolitan area. Those areas contain 87 percent of the nation's Latino residents.

Four states - Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa and North Carolina - were chosen to represent emerging Latino populations.

The survey also found:

About 34 percent of Latinos said they view President Bush "very favorably" or "somewhat favorably." Of those, a quarter said the main reason they liked him was for his policy positions, 25 percent cited his leadership, 19 percent said it was because he relates well to Latinos, 15 percent cited his commitment to his Christian faith, 9 percent cited his "likability" and 5 percent said his ability to speak Spanish.

Hispanics support the Democratic Party by a 2-to-1 ratio, but that support drops significantly when they become naturalized citizens. Among Latinos who have naturalized, 40 percent support Republicans and 39 percent support Democrats.

Hispanics support the Democratic Party by a 2-to-1 ratio, but that support drops significantly when they become naturalized citizens. Among Latinos who have naturalized, 40 percent support Republicans and 39 percent support Democrats.
    Makes you wonder WHERE all of the Democrat Hispanic votes came from, eh??

confusing

If they arent naturalized, they can not vote, therefore there's something wrong with the statement that naturalized latino support drops.

I guess I would have to say this is an example of what people mean when they say some of the hispanic's are not assimilating into our culture as other immigrants before them. Myself, I never really think of my self as being a Native-American, until I see it in writing, I always think of myself as being
    All American! If some Indians come into this country illegally, I am sorry, I don't feel any more compassion for them then I do the illegal hispanic or whatever race they are. My loyalty is not to a race of people, but to every Legal American in the US!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

according to the independent survey funded by nine foundations, including the Ford Foundation and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation
    2 of the most DANGEROUS foundations in the USA
    they need to be destroyed
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)