Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

LAWSUIT: TAKE FEAR AWAY FROM KIDS

In today's Miami Herald in the local section is where I found this article. It angers me as these people just don't get the words: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!

http://www,miami.com/mld/miamiherald

Immigrant advocates filed a class action lawsuit, arguing that the rights of U.S.-born children of undocumented immigrants are being violated by the constant fear of their parents' deportation.

If one day her mother disappears, 11-year-old Stephanie Escobar knows what to do.
    "My mom told me to call my aunt if she doesn't come home," she said. "Sometimes when she's late [coming] home from work, I think that it means she's been taken."
    By right of birth, Stephanie is a U.S. citizen, but her mother Martha is an undocumented immigrant from Columbia - and so both mother and child live in daily fear that Martha's deportation will separate them.
    That constant, anguished uncertainity is the basis of a class-action lawsuit filed in federal court Wednesday on behalf of Escobar and dozens of other U.S.-born children of undocumented immigrants.
    The lawsuit, filed by a coalition of local immigrant advocacy groups, argues that the constitutional rights of those young children are being violated by their families' precarious status, and that deportations of the parents of U.S. citizen children should stop until Congress passes comprehensive immigration reform.
    "When the government deports the parents, they tell the citizen children that they can go back with their parents, or stay and be wards of the state, and that's not a choice," said Alfonso Oveido, president of American Fraternity, alos known as the Nicaraguan Fraternity. "They are being treated as garbage, not as U.S. citizens."
    Honduran Unity and the Peruvian-American Coalition joined with Oviedo's group in the lawsuit, which is filed against the U.S. government in the federal courthouse in downtown Miami.
    Oviedo and the other lawyers involved based the lawsuit on a legal docterine called "latches," which prohibits parties who take too long to assert a right from doing so later.
    the lawsuit's premise is that the U.S. government did not enforce its own immigration laws, allowing millions of undocumented immigrants to live and work here for many years, eventually forming families that include children who are American citizens. The government has since has lost its right to deport those parents because it failed to do so for so long, and now the rights of the U.S.-born children trump the long-unenforced laws that would break up their families, according to the lawsuit.
    "The government is coming to these kids and saying, 'Now we arbitrarily changed our mind and we are going to kick you out,'" said Donald Schlemmer a Washington, D.C., lawyer who helped file the lawsuit. "We're saying you can't do that."
    The lawsuit expressively supports legislation that was passed by the Senate earlier this year that would grant legal status to millions of undocumented immigrants and create a guest-worker program. The House of Representatives approved dueling legislation that focused almost solely on boerder enforcement. Progress on the legislationstalled when the two sides couldn't negotiate a compromise.
    For the families that form part of the lawsuit, it represents new hope that their families will remain united.
    It's a first step to protect people like us, because every day we leave the house and we don't know if we'll return," said Martha, Stephanie's mother.
    "We have to have the courage to do something."
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Excuse me, could you show me where immigration law has a statute of limitations? Basically they're saying "You didn't catch me quickly enough, so now you've got to let me go."

This is an absurd lawsuit and should be thrown out of court with a quickness.

"When the government deports the parents, they tell the citizen children that they can go back with their parents, or stay and be wards of the state, and that's not a choice,
    I hate to be cold......but sometimes life just doesn't give you a perfect choice. Their parents put them in that position knowing full well what the result might be. You played, you lost. Don't whine at me.

Children of criminal citizen parents don't get to choose. They didn't do anything wrong either. Sorry but maybe they need to start seeing there is a consequence for your actions early since they are obviously thumbing their noses and alot of our laws.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

October 05, 2006
    Anchor Babies Sue U.S. Government

The U.S. Constitution grants automatic citizenship and a plethora of benefits to the children of illegal aliens born in this country and now those anchor babies are suing the government to prevent their undocumented parents from being deported.

A coalition of immigrant advocacy groups has filed a federal lawsuit in Florida on behalf of dozens of anchor babies who prefer to live in America rather than in their parents’ native country. Advocates representing the kids say that, by deporting the parents, the government is telling the citizen children that they can go back with them or stay and be wards of the state. This amounts to being treated like trash, according to one representative.

Ironically, the lawsuit’s premise is that the U.S. Government didn’t enforce its own immigration laws to begin with and therefore millions of undocumented people were allowed to live, work and have families over the years. The suit says that the government has lost its right to deport the illegal parents because it has failed to do so for years and the rights of the anchor babies take precedent over laws that would divide their families.

The term was adopted because the U.S.-born children not only automatically qualify for a variety of benefits, they provide permanent residency for immediate family members—mother, father and siblings—and the link to future citizenship. Each year between 300,000 and 350,000 anchor babies are born in the U.S., most of them in California, Texas and Florida.

The cost to U.S. taxpayers is astronomical and many hospitals report that most of their maternity-ward activity involves the delivery of anchor babies. An example is a Stockton California hospital (San Joaquin General) that delivered 2,300 anchor babies—that is 70% of its deliveries—at a whopping cost of several hundred million dollars.

The newborns automatically get supplemental security income in the form of federal grant money and food stamps, free state and federally-funded medical insurance as well as a free public school education in the later years. All because the 14th Amendment, ratified in 1868 to protect the rights of native-born Black Americans, guarantees that all persons born in the United States are citizens of the United States and the State wherein they reside.

http://www.corruptionchronicles.com/200 ... rnmen.html
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

This made me sick when I read it this morning. Will we be paying for this too? We already paid the hospital bill for the illegals to give birth to the anchor babies. How much more of this do we have to take?

Congress needs to take this as a wake-up call and do away with anchor babies citizenship. They need to make it retroactive and revoke the citizenship of any child that doesn't have at least one legal parent.

I know that there has been talk of getting rid of the anchor baby policy. When it will happens, God only knows.

Quote Originally Posted by swatchick
    I know that there has been talk of getting rid of the anchor baby policy. When it will happens, God only knows.
    If you want to help push this into the forefront of the debate here's the info:
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... sc&start=0

RON PAUL'S CONTACT INFO IS ON PAGE 2

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    The U.S. Constitution grants automatic citizenship
    More open borders media propoganda. The Constitution DOES NOT grant automatic citizenship to everyone born in the US. The executive branch (currently headed by Jorge Bush) made a decision long ago to extend the 14th Amendment to illegal alien babies. Thus it is the President that has granted them US Citizenship, not the Constitution.
    In effect he has decided to give them amnesty.

Now in theory it is possible for Congress or 2/3rds of the States to say the President overstepped his authority, and that all these anchor babies are not US Citizens. In practice some type of bill/amendment like this would probably have to allow anchor babies over 18 a chance to become US citizens it they can pass the Citizenship test.

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    All because the 14th Amendment, ratified in 1868 to protect the rights of native-born Black Americans, guarantees that all persons born in the United States are citizens of the United States and the State wherein they reside.
    Here they are actually re-writing the Constitution. They left out the part that states: "and under the jurisdiction thereof". The Senators who wrote the amendment stated this means "under the complete jurisdiction of the US, it does not apply to foreigners and aliens".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast