Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Lee County getting no answers from contractor accused of employing illegal workers
    By CHARLIE WHITEHEAD

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

It’s been 20 days since immigration officials arrested 25 illegal aliens who were working on the Lee County jail. Lee County officials are still waiting for an explanation from contractor Kraft Construction.

County Public Works Director Jim Lavender said he asked for evidence that Kraft, a Naples company that advertises itself as Florida’s largest private contractor, even asked workers whether they were in the country legally, immediately after the May 15 raid. So far, nothing.

“What I thought I was going to get right away was the I-9’s,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Lee County getting no answers from contractor accused of emp

Lee County getting no answers from contractor accused of employing illegal workers

By CHARLIE WHITEHEAD (Contact)
    9:21 p.m., Tuesday, June 3, 2008

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/jun ... accused-e/

It’s been 20 days since immigration officials arrested 25 illegal aliens who were working on the Lee County jail. Lee County officials are still waiting for an explanation from contractor Kraft Construction.

County Public Works Director Jim Lavender said he asked for evidence that Kraft, a Naples company that advertises itself as Florida’s largest private contractor, even asked workers whether they were in the country legally, immediately after the May 15 raid. So far, nothing.

“What I thought I was going to get right away was the I-9’s,â€
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

Company cleared of hiring illegal workers

Company cleared of hiring illegal workers

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readleear ... 19657&z=14

Last updated on: 6/4/2008 5:33:18 PM by Michelle Burdo

LEE COUNTY: There is new information in the case of more than two dozen people arrested for working in Lee County illegally. County leaders met with the construction company that hired the workers, in an attempt to figure out who was at fault.

Kraft Construction, which is in charge of all the building at the new Lee County Jail site, met with county staff Wednesday. Their goal was to show the county they did not knowingly hire the 25 illegal immigrants who were arrested while working on the jail.

NBC2 spoke with county staff and they say they saw 25 legitimate I-9 forms for those workers on Wednesday.

An I-9 form confirms the person is legally able to work in the U.S. Now, the county says everything is OK with Kraft Construction - they did everything right.

Still, somewhere along the line these illegal immigrants got hired.

County staff members say the problem is that companies cannot question the authenticity of the document - because by law that would be viewed as discrimination.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

Re: Company cleared of hiring illegal workers

They should be forced to use the E-Verification System!!!! They KNEW, please .....
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

Comments are being left at the source link.
    ~~

17 of 25 illegal workers deported
    By WINK News

Story Created: Jun 4, 2008 at 5:06 PM EDT

Story Updated: Jun 4, 2008 at 5:28 PM EDT

LEE COUNTY, Fla.- We have new information into the investigation of 25 illegal workers taken into custody at the Lee County Jail expansion project on Ortiz last month.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement tells us of the 25 workers 17 have already been deported and six have orders for deportation.

We've also learned an additional worker with deportation orders has been deported once before.

One other case is pending.

The Lee County Attorney's office met with the contractor, KRAFT Construction today to review the documents of the 25 workers to find out whether they knowingly hired the illegal workers.

Kraft and its sub-contractors told WINK News they asked for all of the proper work documents and did not knowingly hire any illegal workers.

According to the county's contract with Kraft Construction, Kraft is responsible for making sure all of the workers were legal, including those of its sub-contractors.

Most of the 25 workers worked for sub-contractors.

ICE says the investigation into the incident continues, but would not comment on any company or companies.

http://www.winknews.com/news/local/19542104.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12