Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Letter fights `amnesty' for illegal immigrants

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/14140539.htm

Posted on Mon, Mar. 20, 2006
    Letter fights `amnesty' for illegal immigrants
    Myrick, McHenry among conservatives who signed warning
    TIM FUNK

Letter fights `amnesty' for illegal immigrants Myrick, McHenry among conservatives who signed warning More than 70 conservative House members -- including GOP Reps. Patrick McHenry and Sue Myrick of North Carolina -- sent a warning to the Senate last week on the hot-button issue of immigration.

Their message: We don't like what we're hearing about Senate proposals to launch a guest-worker program and legalize undocumented foreign workers already here.

Ideas like that are "fundamentally incompatible" with get-tough legislation already passed by the House and could "doom any chance of a real reform bill reaching the president's desk this year," the House members wrote in a letter to Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa.

Specter chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is considering the more comprehensive of two Senate immigration bills getting a closer look as the upper chamber gears up for an explosive debate on the issue later this month.

The other Senate bill is an echo of the enforcement-only House version favored by grass-roots conservatives. It was just introduced by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., a presidential candidate who needs to woo -- not alienate -- conservatives if he hopes to win his party's nomination.

The House letter to Specter touts the House provisions -- including one to build a fence along the Mexican border -- as steps "to restore the anarchical borders and to reform our dysfunctional immigration system."

The bill before the Senate panel also would beef up border security. But other, more controversial provisions would offer some illegal immigrants a path to permanent residency and eventual citizenship if they pay a $2,000 fine, apply for six-year temporary status, keep a job, pay taxes and show proficiency in English.

Its supporters, including Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., say it would bring undocumented immigrants out of the shadows and legalize the workers U.S. businesses say they need.

The House letter writers dismissed that thinking, saying the proposals "amount to little more than thinly disguised attempts to provide amnesty."

Besides McHenry of Cherryville and Myrick of Charlotte, the letter was signed by GOP Reps. Charles Taylor of Brevard, Virginia Foxx of Banner Elk, Walter Jones of Farmville, and Gresham Barrett of Westminster, S.C.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I keep calling and emailing Patrick McHenry to thank him for standing up for the citizens of NC. I guess I'll have to send out some more thank you's today! They like to hear it and I like to let them know that we appreciate it whenever a politican listens to the people. All of us should call and thank those for this letter
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

I just called and thanked each and every one of these who signed this letter. Virginia Foxx's office has the nicest lady working there and she is going tell Foxx how happy we are about this letter. Like I said, they love it when you call and thank them!
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

So they sent a letter. BFD. How about doing something legit that Jorge can't just file in his garbage can? Everyone of these reps should be ranting and raving like a bunch of lunatics and filibustering at will. If it were me, they'd have to arrest me. I'd at least like to see one of these do gooders start pounding their fists on the Senate round table or start beating their shoe on the table like the commies did back in the day. I want to see real anger and outrage over this travesty. I'm tired of just merely writing letters and phoning these traitors. Who cares? It doesn't work, they aren't listening to us. Heck they aren't even afraid of us and it's not like they are hiding their intentions. What I want to know is when is someone going to take some real action on this? We are being outright invaded, our government is encouraging it and all we are doing is writing letters.

If our founding fathers were alive today they would be thoroughly ashamed of us.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

So they sent a letter. BFD.
    At least that's more than some of them would do! I agree, there needs to be some anger showings about this invasion, but you have to give Patrick McHenry, Sue Myrick, and the other signers of this letter some credit, they SEE that illegal immigration is a huge problem for our nation, unlike our President George Bush! Anytime one of our representatives stands up for us, I'm gonna at least pick up the phone and call them and let them know I appreciate it . I also pick up the phone and tell them how I feel when they do something against the will of the people. This works two ways, at least give them some respect when they are fighting for what you want to see happen!

Quote Originally Posted by rebellady1964
    So they sent a letter. BFD.
    At least that's more than some of them would do! I agree, there needs to be some anger showings about this invasion, but you have to give Patrick McHenry, Sue Myrick, and the other signers of this letter some credit, they SEE that illegal immigration is a huge problem for our nation, unlike our President George Bush! Anytime one of our representatives stands up for us, I'm gonna at least pick up the phone and call them and let them know I appreciate it . I also pick up the phone and tell them how I feel when they do something against the will of the people. This works two ways, at least give them some respect when they are fighting for what you want to see happen!
    What good does a letter do when we know what Jorge Bush will do with it? He doesn't care what we think. Sending a letter to me is just another ploy the politicans use to fool the sheeple into thinking they are doing something when in essence they are doing nothing at all. I will give the politicans no credit until they all show the same level of backbone that Tom Tancredo does on a daily basis. At least he gets up and rants and raves like he cares. When Sue and Patrick start doing that then they will receive my praise. All of them that signed this letter should be beating down the White House door to have it out (verbally of course) with Jorge. I'm fed up, we are all fed up and I'm sick of us being ignored like we don't matter. How dare these politicos treat us like cattle when they wouldn't even be in power if not for us? I'm sick of them saying we need these lawbreakers and we would be nothing without them. No you politicos are nothing and you need us and without us you would be nothing. You politicos think because you are too lazy to do your own work and need to hire the cheap labor that we are just the same as you. You politico scum wouldn't know what hard work was if it bit you in the backsides. We are the American people, not peasants of a third world nation, but we will be if we don't act NOW.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn