Letters for Sunday: Immigration battles continue

10:09 AM CDT on Sunday, April 8, 2007

Illegals should fight for it ...

As a third-generation American of Hispanic heritage, the sheer numbers of illegal immigrants forced me out of the construction industry. The year was 1986. My bids for work were cut by 50 percent by companies hiring illegal workers, and, of course, the builders went with the lower cost.

This problem has been around in Dallas County longer than most people know. Today, the crime rate is at an all-time high, due to illegal immigrants' lack of knowledge or flagrant disrespect of our laws.

If anyone truly desires to become a citizen of my country, let them give two years active duty and one year in the reserves in our armed forces. If they want a better life, let them earn it, the same as our sons and daughters who die each day for all of us.

James Vidales, Dallas

... if they could, they would

Re: "Fight for your country," by Henry Harris, Tuesday Letters.

Mr. Harris' complaint is not with the 12 million illegal immigrants, it is with our government, which disallows tapping into this vast resource. I would be willing to bet that, if allowed, noncitizens would volunteer in numbers large enough to form several regiments.

William R. Hall, Dallas

These candidates shirk duty

Re: "Candidates agree on migrant issue – Dallas: Mayoral hopefuls say illegal immigration is a federal matter," Tuesday Metro.

If I understood this, all Dallas mayoral candidates say it's not their job to deal with illegal immigration.

Study after study shows the cost of illegal immigration is more of a burden to local and state governments than to the federal government. Why would the federal government be in any hurry to enforce current immigration laws?

Obviously, if you are a citizen and taxpayer in Dallas, you might as well be up a geographical erosion without means of propulsion because your about-to-be-elected-mayor says, "It's not my job."

One more great reason to move!

Paula Howell, Dallas

Anchía flips before he flops

Re: "Anchía clears up his 'touchback' position" Wednesday Metro.

Again, state Rep. Rafael Anchía shows whose side he is on. After flip-flopping on his bill that would deny grants from the Texas Enterprise Fund to employers who hire illegal immigrants, he comes out in favor of those who will keep him in power – the Texas Association of Business.

Oh, yes, he also wants everyone to know he supports illegal immigration.

Citizens of the 103rd District: Are you sure you are represented in Austin?

Jean Towell, Dallas

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... d391b.html