http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 7f17a.html

Letters: Student immigration protests
05:19 AM CST on Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Do students know what they're protesting?

I have a number of questions about the "protest" Tuesday at Dallas City Hall and the students who staged it.

How many of these students know the specific provisions of the proposed laws, as well as the arguments against them? How many have any understanding of the problems involved with illegal immigrants – the economic issues, the costs associated with public services, the problems of educating their children? What exactly were they trying to convey?

What, if anything, do school officials do about these obviously truant youngsters? What did their parents know about their children's activities?

And finally, who arranged, encouraged and orchestrated these young people's action?

Martin R. Gluck, Dallas

As an immigrant, I stand up for my people

I do not agree with the new immigration law Congress is trying to pass. It is not fair. I may be young – I'm a student at Irma Rangel Young Women's Leadership School – but I have a voice. I stand up for my people.

Immigrants have rights. We worked hard to be where we are right now. Yes, I know we are here illegally, but it is unfair to say that just because you are an immigrant, you have to go. Some immigrants have lived here for more than 10 years; they have established entire lives here and raised families here.

Basically, they are Americans.

We have worked hard to be where we are now. I thought America was a free country. Why are we blocking people out? Why is it basically Mexicans?

Adriana Velazquez, Dallas

When can I expect my school-tax refund?

As a longtime, childless taxpayer, I am shocked at the lack of school authority to control these out-of-control kids. The U.S. is a country with rules and laws. Just because people in Mexico have little regard for law and order does not mean they can bring that trait here.

I expect to get a tax refund from the DISD for the days these students ran wild and uncontrolled and for the cost of police control, busing and other tax-funded expenses. Superintendent Michael Hinojosa, when may I expect my refund?

Ray Aylesworth, Dallas

It must have taken a lot to get kids out of class

Amazing! What Svengali-like power it must take to convince high school students to skip class?

Bart Barber, Farmersville

I did notice an omission among all those flags

I would be more favorably impressed if these protesting students were carrying American flags.

Elizabeth Chalmers, Dallas

-------------------------------------
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... fb641.html
05:03 AM CST on Tuesday, March 28, 2006

How is this not amnesty?

Re: "Security and Prosperity – An immigration plan conservatives can love," Sunday Editorials.

I beg to differ. This plan, which you condescendingly claim is not amnesty, allows 12 million illegal aliens to stay in the United States while they do a laundry list of things like pay taxes, pay a fine and prove they have a job.

How is that not amnesty?

You claim that these folks are not cutting in line in front of those on legitimate lists to enter the U.S. Ha! If they are already here and are allowed to stay, how is that not cutting in line?

This is one conservative who does not love this plan.

Richard Haller, Argyle

Just accept higher prices

Re: "Security and Prosperity – An immigration plan conservatives can love," Sunday Editorials.

This editorial contradicts itself. First, it notes that illegal immigrants "frame houses, change linens, bus tables" and then states that "many jobs would go overseas or disappear altogether if immigrants didn't do them."

How such jobs as landscaping, busing tables, construction and housekeeping can be sent overseas is beyond me. The only thing more ridiculous is the concept that the need for these jobs would simply evaporate if we didn't have immigrant labor.

Illegal immigrants perform labor that the majority of Americans will not do at the wages being offered. If the supply of cheap labor disappeared, these jobs would still need to be done. Employers would simply have to raise wages to a level acceptable to legal Americans.

The higher wages would be passed on in the form of more expensive meals at restaurants, higher home prices and other price increases. Advocates of eliminating illegal labor must be willing to accept the higher prices.

Mark Perez, Frisco

Move protest to Mexico

Re: "Thousands protest bills targeting illegal immigrants," Saturday news story.

Only in the U.S. could a lawbreaker protest in the streets of some of our largest cities for increased benefits and privileges. It's too bad they do not have the guts to protest in the streets of Mexico and demand better treatment from a corrupt government that steals from them.

Alvin Auger, Palestine