Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Liberals trying to silence conservative talk radio

Lisa Peana: Liberals trying to silence conservative talk radio

July 15, 2007

You've gotta love the liberals. The "my view or you're blind" philosophy couldn't have been more obvious until now. Simply put, if you don't agree with the liberal view point, then you are wrong and should be silenced, according to them.

What I am talking about is the current attempt proposed to silence talk radio. And of course, they won't come straight out and say it; they have to sugar coat it with the "Fairness Doctrine" reinstatement.

A little history: The Fairness Doctrine was created in 1949 in reaction to the Communist Red scare; later, in 1967, parts of it were adopted by the Federal Communications Commission. Over the years, the Fairness Doctrine was challenged in court, and finally in 1987, the FCC put an end to it. Congress tried to revive it but was vetoed by President Ronald Regan and did not pass it with a second attempt when George H.W. Bush threatened to veto it.

Today, Democrats in Congress want the Fairness Doctrine brought back in an effort to silence conservative talk radio hosts. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., said in The Hill newspaper, "I have this old-fashioned attitude that when Americans hear both sides of the story, they're in a better position to make a decision." I don't know how to tell Mr. Durbin but there are both liberal and conservative talk show hosts on the air today. If America wants to hear both sides on talk radio, then they should tune in and have a listen.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., told "FOX News Sunday," "Talk radio is overwhelmingly one way. ... In my view, talk radio tends to be one-sided. It also tends to be dwelling in hyperbole. It's explosive. It pushes people to, I think, extreme views without a lot of information."

According to Democrats in Congress, a "legislative fix" is needed for conservative talk radio.

Re-instating the Fairness Doctrine would require the FCC to regulate that all broadcasters would give equal time to both conservative and liberal talk radio hosts. We currently have a balance. Talk radio has to offer equal time candidates from both political parties. A government regulation over what a station can and can't broadcast based on what side of the spectrum the host is leaning toward would have a crushing effect on their resources. Radio stations make money from advertising. If a program does not have ratings, the air spots are worthless because no one is tuning in.

Talk radio is already under control by the FCC. We don't need a legislative fix; we need government to stay out. The market should determine what should be and shouldn't be aired, not Congress.

Talk radio, at least to our listening audience, offers more than political commentary. It also offers information about local news and events, issues, community involvement possibilities, etc. It is also another way that local businesses can advertise effectively and on a budget.

At the end of the day, this is just another pre-game strategic play by the liberals to aid in their pick for president in 2008 and another way to chip away at our fundamental rights.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbc ... 50332/1034
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The Liberals are all for free food, free medical, free love, free choice...

Let a Conservative start using free speech and they become like free radicals. I was unaware that all the free stuff belongs to the Liberals.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    The Liberals are all for free food, free medical, free love, free choice...

Let a Conservative start using free speech and they become like free radicals. I was unaware that all the free stuff belongs to the Liberals.

Dixie
    That is so true. Liberals do think all the free stuff belongs to them and free speach. Someone has to pay for the free stuff and I''m sure the liberals will be claiming poverty and contributing nothing as usual.

With Liberals it is always: take, take, take and break, break break the law.
    That's is why I hate liberals.
    <div>GOD - FAMILY - COUNTRY</div>