This is going all over the net, we all need to post our opinion.

http://www.kcet.org/lifeandtimes/blog/i ... cet_play=1

Reporter's NOTES

Hena Cuevas
When Maywood officials drafted a resolution last January against the latest immigration reform bill, they never imagined it would bring with it the title of sanctuary city for illegal immigrants. They say the resolution was meant as a message to the federal government. However, opponents argue that by ignoring current immigration laws, officials in Maywood are violating their oath of office. Can a city really declare itself a safe haven for the undocumented in defiance of the law? Witnessing the recent heated protest in Maywood shows how divided both sides are about the immigration issue.
Insider Viewpoints

I believe that we were exercising our rights and fulfilling our responsibilities as local elected officials in voicing what the majority of our populous held in strong conviction. At no time did we dishonor the constitution of the United States of America or California.

My personal view of undocumented immigration is humanitarian in nature and loyal to the true spirit of this great country, my country, our country. Undocumented immigrants are incredibly driven individuals who contribute in a vastly positive manner to our economy and society.

Proposed laws, such as HR 4437, are hypocritical in spirit and would accomplish nothing more than creating what would resemble a police state and deny dignity to those who perform our most hazardous and labor-intensive jobs. In regard to the recent visit of the organization known as the SOS, I believe that they certainly have the right to free speech and public assembly, even though I strongly disagree with their views. I believe the SOS to be a radical group, as are the majority of groups that came to counter-protest.

Sergio Calderon
Councilman
City of Maywood

All human beings, regardless of national origin, have the right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." The City of Maywood, Calif., should be commended for guaranteeing this fundamental right to its residents of Mexican descent, regardless of their documentation status.

The five-city councilmen of Mexican descent who declared Maywood an immigrant "Sanctuary City" are true heroes of the Mexican people. Today, the citizens of Maywood and its entire city council are under attack by white nativists who do not live in the city.

Last Saturday, a group traveled from as far away as Temecula to protest in front of Maywood City Hall. There were a few small altercations, and the nativists vowed that they will return.

In a radio broadcast from the state of Nevada, the radio host stated that Maywood may become "ground zero" for a Civil War between whites and Mexicans. The situation in Maywood is very serious and requires emergency intervention before it gets any worse.

Hector Carreon
La Voz de Aztlan

I had a thought on Saturday [August 26, 2006] when I was standing in the middle of a screaming…group countering the SOS protesters outside Maywood City Hall,…staring down cops in riot gear: If my career continues to go well, my…protest-crashing days may be numbered…, as some of these ornery folks recognizing me could result in some trying to beat the tar out of me…But for now, I’m cheered by the thought that ignorant protesters (“Who is Tancredo?” one pro-immigration demonstrator asked about a “Tancredo for President” sign held by SOS members) are just ignorant enough…

…it was an afternoon chock full of racism, reconquista (like the “Stolen Continent” sign featuring two continents? Props to the LAUSD, eh?) and riot cops. And after the local post office took down the American flag at closing time, pro-immigration demonstrators promptly ran the Mexican flag up the flagpole…police officers surrounded the flagpole and tried to get the Mexican flag down, but the cords got twisted, and they could only lower it to half-staff.

Bridget Johnson
Author
GOP Vixen
COMMUNITY VIEWPOINTS

1. 09.07.2006 | 6:50 pm

Dear MT,

We apologize for any inconvenience that our comment system has brought you. The comment box only allows for 50 words or less to be posted on the site. But feel free to submit as many comments as you like about the topic. Thank you for visiting the KCET Life & Times blog!

Admin - Los Angeles, California
2. 09.07.2006 | 3:15 pm

Okay, KCET, you really need to fix this comment system. It keeps breaking when I try to post, and I can’t finish my thoughts.

M T - San Diego, California
3. 09.07.2006 | 3:15 pm

This whole issue is not anti-Mexican and should have nothing to do with race. By using words like “under attack by white nativists,” you bring race into the issue and you are attempting to make people that are against illegal immigrants seem to be anti-Mexican and borderline racists.

These “white nativists” realize that coming to America illegally is a crime and should be handled as such. No special treatment, no driver’s license.

The issue is people that enter this country illegally. There are proper channels to go through and thousands of people go through the correct process everyday.

4. 09.07.2006 | 3:10 pm

The fact that people are failing to see is that people who come to this country illegally are commiting a crime. They are here ILLEGALLY.

Why should a criminal be granted any kind of sanctuary? If someone entered your house without your permission, what would you do? Would you call the cops and have the person removed from your house or would you say, “Well, since you came into my home to better your life, I guess you can stay.” Sure the second option is nice and the humane thing to do, but you only have so much room.

Submit Comments
* Required
* First Name: * Last Name:
* City: * State:
* Email:
(will not appear on post)
* Comment:
By submitting a comment I have read and agree to KCET's Terms of Use for Online Forums.