Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

local media to cover illegal immigrants drunk driving

http://wral.com/news/local/story/2128238/

Drunken-Driving Among Hispanics Focus of WRAL Documentary

Posted: Today at 11:52 a.m.
    Updated: Today at 12:00 p.m.

Raleigh — The high rate of drunken driving accidents involving legal and illegal Hispanic immigrants is the focus of a WRAL News documentary airing Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Focal Point: "Crossing the Line" also looks at the challenges law enforcement agencies and the court system face in trying to punish undocumented immigrants for driving drunk. It also looks at how Latino advocacy groups are working to reach out to Hispanic immigrants and educate them about the dangers of driving drunk.

According to a recent study from the University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center, Hispanics involved in car crashes are two-and-a-half times more likely to be drunk than white drivers and three times more likely to be drunk than black drivers.

Hispanics also account for 18 percent of drunken-driving arrests, while making up less than 7 percent of the state’s population. Drunken driving is also the number one killer of young Hispanic men in North Carolina.

"Crossing the Line" also profiles the case of Scott and Tina Gardner, a couple from Mount Holly, N.C., who was hit by an illegal immigrant on their vacation in July 2005. Tina Gardner was left severely brain-damaged, and Scott Gardner was killed.

The driver, Ramiro Gallegos, had a blood alcohol concentration of .22, nearly three times the legal limit.

“My son didn’t have to die," his mother, Emily Moose, said. "The man that drove the truck and took his life had been in front of a judge five times. He had been deported from this country twice.â€

They should also shine a big ol spotlight on the astounding number of FTA (failure to appear) warrants there are for illegals charged w/DUI.

oh how i would love to be able to watch this

I just watched it. It was so sad for the families who lost their loved ones. The parents of the victims were interviewed. The one set of grandparents are now having to raise their grandchildren who lost their parents to this tragedy. The thing that makes my blood boil is the drunk illegal had been charged 5 times with DUI but all in different counties/states so each time he went up before the judge it appeared to the court that it was his first offense. Is this not crazy!?

Many times they don't even appear in court and if they do there is no way to know who they really are since they are always walking around with phony ID's. This allows them to get away with this crime unlike any legal citizen in this country.

Representative Sue Myreck is working on passing a law that would give them automatic deportation the first time they get a DUI but she said even if they are deported, they come right back over. She also wants to address the issue with the courts not knowing about prior convictions. She has been trying for two years to get this passed and has been unable to. I am going to email or call her tomorrow to see who we need to pressure to change this.

Video Preview on this Documentary:
    http://wral.com/news/local/documentaries/video/2106643/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

December 5, 2007
    [size=200][b]NO MORE DEATHS! North Carolina to release a documentary “Crossing the Lineâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I watched, too. My heart breaks for these families. We need Emily Moose and Tina's stepfather & friend here at ALIPAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne
    Representative Sue Myreck is working on passing a law that would give them automatic deportation the first time they get a DUI but she said even if they are deported, they come right back over. She also wants to address the issue with the courts not knowing about prior convictions. She has been trying for two years to get this passed and has been unable to.
    This is what I find the saddest! Two Years?

Report serious crimes committed by illegal aliens at Victims of Illegal Alien Crime

www.voiac.org