Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

A Long Wait, Mother Looks to Court for Reunion

A long wait, mother looks to court for reunion.

By SHARON COHEN, AP National Writer Writer –

Sun Apr 10, 12:01 am ET

Olga Guzman knew there was no way she'd be able to crawl in the chilly waters of the Rio Grande. Not with a bulging belly and a child due in weeks.

So when the "coyote"_ the smuggler she'd paid $2,500 to get her from Mexico to Texas — told her to hide, she couldn't. She was quickly apprehended by border patrol agents — and just as quickly declared she wanted asylum.

That was September 2005. More than 5 1/2 years later, she's still waiting to explain why in immigration court.

Guzman claims her common-law husband in Guatemala beat and threatened her with a machete, leaving her so scared and desperate that she fled without telling her four young children.

"It was so, so sad to leave them but I had no other option," Guzman says through a translator. "Every time he would look at me, he would threaten to kill me and I just couldn't do it."

She did odd jobs for two months, working her way north through Mexico, saving to help pay a smuggler to get across the river to Brownsville, Texas. Her daughter was born in the U.S. 17 days later.

Guzman's bid for asylum has stalled for various reasons: a government request for more time, a judge's retirement, the crowded docket — and, her lawyer says, a reluctance among immigration judges to tackle cases involving battered women.

Some judges "have a hard time seeing domestic abuse claims through the same lens as they do other asylum cases," says Ashley Huebner, Guzman's lawyer at the Heartland Alliance's National Immigrant Justice Center. "They tend to see them as isolated private matters involving two people in an intimate relationship."

Critics argue abuse claims are hard to document and changing policy could open the floodgates, with millions of women streaming across the border. Advocates say it's difficult for most abused women to flee, make it to America and win in court.

In one celebrated case, a Guatemalan woman who'd accused her husband of pistol-whipping and savagely beating her waged a 14-year legal battle before being granted asylum in 2009.

Guzman, now 35, lives in Indiana near her sister with her two youngest daughters, 5 and 4. She has a job at a fast food restaurant (her lawyer secured a work permit) and she talks regularly with her four children — they range from 8 to 14 — in Guatemala.

"My kids often tell me, `Don't just leave us here. We want you with us. Why don't you come back?' I say, `You need patience. The process is long.'"

Her next hearing is set for February 2012, her case recently was transferred to a new judge — for a third time.

"Every day," she says, "is like an eternity."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110410/ap_ ... _writethru
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

Olga Guzman knew there was no way she'd be able to crawl in the chilly waters of the Rio Grande. Not with a bulging belly and a child due in weeks.
    Trying to land an anchor baby on US soil she got just in time ,17 days. If she had $2500.00 she could have had the kid in Mexico. The news seems to be filled lately with these sob stories and it is nothing but political brainwashing.

People that don't have jobs that see ILLEGALS working don't care that she seems to be a walking talking baby factory with kids all over the continent. Even if she has a job at a fast food place, she appears to have 2 jackpots kids and I would be she has a WIC card to use.

If her husband was so abusive, why did she obviously leave her 4 kids with him in Guatamala?

Balderdash!!
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"My kids often tell me, `Don't just leave us here. We want you with us. Why don't you come back?' I say, `You need patience. The process is long.'"
    Obviously she had no qualms about leaving her 4 OTHER kids at home!

Guzman, now 35, lives in Indiana near her sister with her two youngest daughters, 5 and 4.
    Now she has 2 anchors that I'm sure have been raised on OUR tax dollars. Her quote about patience must be that she wants to bring the others here for us to pay for.

What a load of manure... deport her NOW, problem solved. She left kids behind before, let her take the new ones with her.

Banned
    Oh jeez, you know how this is going to turn out and so do I.
    Keep popping kids Guzman. And being a a woman of strong moral
    character. Your second born on U.S soil. I would assume not fathered
    by common-law husband in Guatemala?
    Perhaps she has six common law husbands. And they all have a big
    "Machete"? Never heard it called that before. Illegal alien loser tramp
    abandons her kids in Guatemala?. She can burn in hell.

Guzman's bid for asylum? How about a nice Guatemalan asylum!

No, the problem is Olga Guzman heard the news that all illegal aliens and their children are welcome in the U.S. and they will receive great benefits and support.
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

working4change
    no more anchor babies

She could care less about the kids she left behind, in fact she left them with her "allegedly" violent husband. No good mother would run away and leave her little kids with a machete wielding madman. That's why she should never get asylum!!

The kids want her back in home, and her response is unforgivable! We have a name for married women who abandon their kids, then keep having more kids with other men and it ain't pretty!

This she-beech should be booted out so fast to make her head spin! Her anchors can either go with her or stay with their father(s).
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

But . . . but . . . I thought it was those evil immigration enforcement supporters that separated families. It turns out they do quite well at it for themselves.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Some judges "have a hard time seeing domestic abuse claims through the same lens as they do other asylum cases,"
    And I don't either and I'm the voice of experience. It's so easy, you move and don't tell the jerk where you are. Easy as that.

Now doesn't it make more sense to ask for asylum in a country that you speak the language? America is not the only place you can get asylum. Do you know the entire country of Spanish speaking Mexico is between the US and Guatemala? She could immigrate South of Guatemala too.

She does not have to come here.

Dixie

Banned
    She could have waited a couple more weeks to have this kid, and then snuck over. She left the other four, why not this one? Oh the joys of Anchorhood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast