Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Looking for America in Chicago (commentary)

Link to story

Looking for America in Chicago
    Herbert London (archive)
    October 14, 2003

Recently I was asked to give a speech at the Midwest Conference Center in the Melrose Park section of Chicago. What I experienced, however, had little to do with the Midwest and a lot to do with Mexico.

Arriving in that area during the lunch hour, I searched for a place to eat. Since I am not favorably disposed to Mexican food, I searched for a luncheonette or diner where I might order a sandwich or salad. But I searched in vain. A twenty mile drive on Lake Street yielded nothing but taco and burrito establishments.

At long last I found a Burger King. I was relieved. Nevertheless, the employee behind the counter spoke Spanish exclusively. I asked for the Chicken Caesar Salad, but the counter employee looked at me quizzically. Finally, I simply pointed to the sign.

This was merely the beginning of my adventure. After delivering my speech, I wanted to get to Midway Airport to catch another flight. My host said all I had to do was take interstate 290 to Cicero. Unfortunately for me, he neglected to indicate whether I should be going east or west on 290. I guessed wrong.

After traveling in the wrong direction for about five miles I decided to ask for help at a gas station. As soon as I started to speak, I realized the attendant did not speak english. I went on to another gas station where I encountered the same problem, then another and another. After seven stops, I finally relented. In pidgeon spanish, I pleaded for assistance.

To my astonishment, none of these attendants ever heard of Midway. They insisted that I really wanted to go to O’Hare. I argued that there is another airport in Chicago despite their claims. After an hour of frustrating encounters I made it to Midway.

All through this experience I kept asking myself in what nation was I traveling. I am persuaded I was actually in Little Mexico, a colony of Big Mexico.

Although proponents of immigration contend diversity is a healthy consequence of the new immigration, it really doesn’t exist. Diversity has dramatically declined among new immigrants. During the last decade – as my experience indicates – immigrants from Mexico account for more than 30 percent of the foreign born in the United States. Moreover, Mexicans accounted for about 43 percent of the growth in the nation’s foreign born population.

In Illinois, for example, the Mexican population increased from roughly 275,000 in 1990 to 680,000 in 2003, almost all of these Mexicans are in the Chicago area. Surely many of these new immigrants play a significant role as employees in the hospitality industry, the restaurant business and heavy industry. But there are other implications that should be considered.

The most imposing issue is that a large, less diverse immigrant population living as an island within an urban area often hinders integration by fostering linguistic and spatial isolation. When one group dominates in a neighborhood such as Melrose Park, the chance of having immigrants Americanize is substantially reduced. Clearly ethnic groups prefer being with those who speak their language and share their cultural habits. But in the process, this nation is being balkanized in a manner the founders never predicted.

This condition is particularly pronounced when through inadvertence you are thrust into an immigrant community and cannot communicate. What I found particularly troubling is that many young people I addressed could not speak english. I would have guessed that bilingual programs in the public schools would have acquainted youngsters with the national language. I was wrong. There isn’t any need to speak english in Melrose Park.

Despite my dislike of Mexican food, I don’t share any animus towards Mexicans. What concerns me is that without any policy discussion or national plebiscite, this nation is undergoing a fundamental change. If one were to engage in a demographic extrapolation based on relative birthrates, several states, including California, Arizona, New Mexico, will have a majority of Mexicans by 2050.

The questions that emerge from this condition are worthy of further analysis. Should the U.S. be a bilingual nation? What are the consequences of Balkanization? What does it mean to say we are “one nation, indivisible?�

Having returned from the Chicago area, I feel confident I have been to the future. For someone who loves America and admires its immigrant tradition, I have my doubts about present trends. I am not reticent to say, I prefer to live in the United States rather than Little Mexico. I suspect I am not alone in expressing this point of view.

Herbert London is President of the Hudson Institute and John M. Olin Professor of Humanities, and author of the recently published book Decade of Denial, Lexington Books. He can be contacted through www.benadorassociates.com
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Melrose Park is a Chicago suburb, about 10 miles from me.

This article is an accurate description of this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Magoo

My sympathies .... hope the invasion doesn't get any closer to you than it is now.

Is your area being deluged or changing?
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

P.S. ... Mr. Magoo ... hey, since you live in Chicago you might be interested in this Immigration Reform Event Town Hall Meeting tonight IN CHICAGO! I ran across it yesterday when researching some articles to post.

If you should happen to go, please bring us back a report.

Town Hall Meeting with Susan Tully & Sandra Gunn of FAIR with Dave Gorak, director of the Midwest Coalition to Reduce Immigration
    (Chicago, IL --Lincoln Restaurant - 4008 N. Lincoln Ave)

More info:
    http://www.federalobserver.com/archive.php?aid=9557

I live in the house I was born in. My late Father built it 50 years ago. On our block there are only 2 origional owners left. There is one other "white" household, one from Peru, 2 black, 1 from Korea, and 5 mexican. This is just the one block I am on.

When you read the above, keep in mind that I detested writing that. When I grew up I made a personal decision NOT to be racist or descriminate. One of the blacks behind me has become a very good friend. That said, I also keep a loaded gun within reach at all times.

I wish I could go to that meeting, but I don't get out much. The logistics involved for me to go anywhere really limit my travels. Sorry.

I live in the house I was born in. My late Father built it 50 years ago. On our block there are only 2 origional owners left. There is one other "white" household, one from Peru, 2 black, 1 from Korea, and 5 mexican. This is just the one block I am on.
    I understand. I own the house I grew up in. My parents bought it when they found out I was going to be "making an appearance." Dad was the outside "Martha Stewart" and Mom was the inside "Martha." Dad kept the lawn immaculate, prided himself on maintaining the house, added a second living area/garden room 20 years ago, extended the one-car garage to a two-car one, added a bathroom and a large storage room and cedar closet on the back. The house, however, is overbuilt for the area .. it wasn't too overbuilt until the Mexicans starting moving in. Actually, the whites keep their yards worse .. junk, cars .. thankfully that is a few streets down. The neighbors on either side and across the street do take "pride in ownership" but they don't speak English. So how can you "meet" your neighbor? The other day, some of the men were reclining on the lawn in front of one of the houses. We used to worry about Mom being there alone but she died only two years after Dad .. both since 2000. The neighbors next door expressed an interest in the house but there is no way to have a conversation with them...they don't understand me and I found myself getting exasperated trying to explain to them that their offer was $10,000 too low. They wrote down the phone number of a relative that speaks English. On the other side is a black couple who told me recently they detest the changes in the neighborhood. It was a nice middle-class area of homes built in the 50's and 60's. Most of the houses were one-time owned until the folks started passing away and then the "invasion" started. I have to credit the folks (Hispanics), however, with being very helpful to mom when she was having her falling spells. They raced over to help her up one day when she tripped in the driveway. And the black couple kept tabs on her and dad.

But on the street over, an 85-yr. old widow .. a lady I've known all my life ... has a house next to her that is being added onto and the "owner" has the audacity to be BUILDING ANOTHER HOUSE on the back of the small 1/2 acre lot! She made a complaint to the city but the building is still going on. She said the men hang out in groups, drink beer, play loud music .. I'm sure it's disturbing to her tho she doesn't say much.

Oh well .... enough venting.

Hopefully there will be a report online of what transpires tonight.