Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Looking for a miracle; West Palm Beach family faces deportat

Looking for a miracle; West Palm Beach family faces deportation

August 12, 2011 11:22 PM
    (Video at link)
    WPEC - CBS12.com

WEST PALM BEACH , Fla. -- A local family that has lived in this country for 11 years, now faces deportation after trying to gain citizenship for more than a decade. They have been told by a judge that they have to leave the United States by September 2.

"I say the system is flawed. Because they are looking at us as just another case. They should look at us as people because we are not just another case," said Jose Rincon.

The Rincon family is trying to make the most of their last few weeks living in the United States. For the last 10 years they've realized their own version of the American Dream.

They opened a grocery store, bought their home near West Palm Beach and the three kids have all excelled in the Palm Beach County School system. They attend church and volunteer in the community.

"I mean this country means a lot to me because it was in this country where my family came together," said Melissa Rincon.

"I want to graduate with the people I went to high school with, my friends, people that have a part in my heart," said Jose Rincon.

They face deportation to Colombia next month after trying to gain their citizenship for the last 10 years.

They arrived with tourist visas after paramilitary groups started killing and kidnapping people in and around their town. They have been trying to gain political asylum.

But despite trying to play by they rules, 21-year-old Melissa, and her father were both arrested on an order of deportation. They both have to wear ankle monitors and check in each week with immigration officials. And for the first time in their lives they are not sure what the future holds.

"It hurts because I grew up here. I mean I came here when I was 11," said Melissa.

"There probably is opportunity but not as much as there is here, so it looks not as bright as it did before," said Miguel Rincon.

They are now hoping for a miracle and that Immigration officials will reverse their decision and allow them to stay.

"If we are not here, how can we give back?" said Jose.

This family was also hoping the dream act would pass Congress and become law. That would have given the kids a chance to stay in this country and eventually attend college.

The two boys, one goes to Wellington High School, the other is a senior at G-Star School of the arts, are supposed to start school a week from Monday, but that's in jeopardy. They want to stay in the only country they've ever really known. The told us they consider themselves Americans.

A federal judge has denied their case, but they just hired a new lawyer and there is new optimism that something can be worked out, at least a delay before September.

We also contacted Senator Marco Rubio tonight, his office is looking into their case. Rubio told CBS 12 via email - "We need to solve this issue," talking about immigration reform.

Read more: http://www.cbs12.com/articles/decade-47 ... z1UupfyiAR
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Coming here on a tourist visa and staying here illegally is NOT "playing by the rules", get out!

Immigrants have to legally reside in the US for 5 years before going for citizenship, how did they spend 10 years trying to "get citizenship" when they got here 11 years ago?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "