Loudoun and Prince William's immigrant populations shrinking
By Jason Jacks
Source: Loudoun Times-Mirror
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30 2008
UPDATED TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 30 2008

Two Northern Virginia counties that took highly publicized stances against illegal immigration saw their number of foreign-born residents decline last year, while one of their neighbors saw its immigrant population go up.

In 2007, the immigrant population dropped about 1 percent in Loudoun County and 6 percent in Prince William County, according to the Census Bureau's American Community Survey 2007, which was released Sept. 23.

However, in Fairfax County, where leaders have been less willing to place restrictions on illegal immigration, the foreign-born population went up 7 percent last year. In addition, Fairfax saw its number of residents who are not U.S. citizens – which includes legal immigrants -- increase 8 percent, while Prince William's noncitizen population dropped 4 percent and Loudoun's remained relatively unchanged.

"This perfectly corresponds to what these counties are doing," said Prince William's Board of Supervisors Chairman Corey Stewart (R-at large). "The illegal aliens simply move from the jurisdictions that are cracking down on illegal immigration to those that have declared themselves as sanctuary counties, such as Fairfax."

Grabbing most the headlines has been Prince William and the aggressive stance its leaders have taken against illegal immigration. However, some Loudoun leaders were just as vocal in 2007 about making the county less hospitable to people in the country illegally.

Both counties have officers who have received federal training in identifying illegal immigrants and starting the deportation process. Both also have passed measures that punish businesses that knowingly employ illegal immigrants. Prince William also denies public services to illegal immigrants, something that was proposed in Loudoun but failed.

Aside from stepping up their enforcement of illegal boarding houses, leaders in Fairfax have been less inclined to propose such extreme measures.

"I can just tell you Fairfax County is not going to go the route of some of our neighbors," Fairfax's Board of Supervisors Chairman Gerry Connolly (D-at large) told the Washington Post last year on illegal immigration. "We're not going to demagogue."

Connolly did not respond to a request by the Times-Mirror for comment.

Tim Freilich is legal director with the Legal Aid Justice Center, which advocates for Virginia's immigrant community. He said the shaky economy and the housing mess are other possible reasons for the cross-county migration. However, the main factor, he said, is certainly the actions of Fairfax's neighbors.

"The anti-immigration measures have definitely had an impact on the desirability of Prince William and Loudoun as places for immigrants to raise their families," he said, before adding, "I think Fairfax is more inclusive, and I think Prince William is not welcoming."

In Loudoun, Board of Supervisors Chairman Scott York (I-at large) recently expressed a willingness to re-examine how the county addresses illegal immigration. He said he may turn to Loudoun's neighbor to the south for guidance.

"I promise you sir," responding to a speaker at a Sept. 23 community meeting on crime and quality of life issues in Sterling Park, "I will look at what Prince William is doing."
http://www.loudountimes.com/news/2008/s ... -populati/