Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Lubbock Leaders Respond To A Possible Shift In U.S. Immigrat

5/17/07
    Lubbock Leaders Respond To A Possible Shift In U.S. Immigration Policy
    Lubbock Leaders Respond To A Possible Shift In U.S. Immigration Policy

In about 12 hours, 15 suspected illegal aliens are expected to appear before a federal judge in downtown Lubbock. The immigrants were arrested in a raid at two Amherst dairies Wednesday. Two of the immigrants boarded a bus back to Mexico Thursday morning, along with 18 other Mexican Nationals. They've been deported, but the rest are still in Lubbock set to face charges.

This story comes as a group of U.S. Senators and President Bush reached an agreement that would offer illegal aliens a path to legal residency or what's essentially a guest worker program. It's estimated that there are between 11 million and 12 million undocumented workers in the U.S., which is creating more of a push for this type of program. It's an idea that's creating dissenting opinion here on the South Plains. Some Lubbockites say it's a program that's long overdue.

If legislation like this were to pass, it would offer millions of illegal immigrants the chance to stay in the U.S., fortify our nation's borders and set up a temporary worker program. However, Congressman Randy Neugebauer and Senator John Cornyn say they wouldn't vote for it.

David Dean Aguilar lives on the South Plains, and he says that the current immigration policy in our country is flawed and that our nation's law makers are stalling.

Aguilar said, "I think this guest worker program needs to be implemented a little sooner as possible. They're stalling it. It makes all the sense in the world."

But Thursday in Washington, lawmakers did take a step forward towards a program just like Aguilar is talking about. The deal, approved by the President Thursday, would offer the 12 million people now in the U.S. without proper documents a path to legal residency, a so called Z Visa. The deal agreed upon Thursday is causing concern for many in Congress including the congressman who represents Lubbock, Randy Neugebauer.

In a statement sent out by Neugebauer's office Thursday, he says:

"I am opposed to granting amnesty to those immigrants who violated our laws and entered the United States illegally. The agreement reached in the senate appears to do exactly that. By allowing illegal immigrants to stay here permanently without first returning to their home country, we are sending the wrong message to all those who are waiting in line and showing respect for our laws."

Texas US Senator John Cornyn echoed Congressman Neugebauer. He said:

"I have serious concerns with the principles outlined in today's announcement. I simply cannot, and will not, support any legislation that repeats the mistakes of the 1986 amnesty."

But no matter the concern from some in Congress, the President and the Senate Democrats and Republicans, that met Thursday, all agree on putting this immigration reform on a fast track with the hopes that legislation like this will be passed soon.

Aguilar added, "There are jobs here that Americans just aren't willing to do."

Only time will tell how a majority of the 535 members of congress will vote.

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=6534240&nav=3w6y
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I have serious concerns with the principles outlined in today's announcement. I simply cannot, and will not, support any legislation that repeats the mistakes of the 1986 amnesty."
    What a Snake.... What a liar!!!!!!!!!!!
    Never look at another flag. Remember, that behind Government, there is your country, and that you belong to her as you do belong to your own mother. Stand by her as you would stand by your own mother

Soooooooooo, this means you're willing to VOTE for legislation that makes MORE MISTAKES than that of the 1986 AMNESTY?
    Right cornyn?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

There are ways to fix the problems we have with Imigration

All farmers needing help can get help. They just have to let the government know how many they need. There backgrounds are checked before entering this country. They are given temporary visa's to work in the fields. Once it is harvested they go back if the farmer does not need them anymore. Easy as that. We then know who is here. Any business like the farming business can do the same thing if they need help, but these mexicans need to be documented.
    All the rest get deported. They need to wait in line to get inside the United States. Not run across lines to get in.
    All children of illegals are also illegal. QUIT GIVING OUT SSN CARDS TO ILLEGAL ALIENS CHILDREN> THIS MUST STOP!
    ALSO FINE THE WALMARTS< MCDONALD"S WENDY"S HOME DEPOTS WHO HIRE THESE UNDOCUMENTED WOKER. I am tired of having to figure out the word french frie in Mexican. We are in the UNITED STATES. Get you damn national flag the hell out of the US. Go back and fly your flag in your nation not in ours. That is what just makes me the maddest. These people do not have respect for our nation.

Paige
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>