Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

LULAC President: Discrimination persists

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_15979434

LULAC President: Discrimination persists
    By Daniel Borunda \ El Paso Times
    Posted: 09/03/2010 12:00:00 AM MDT

An anti-Hispanic movement is sweeping across the United States, the national president of LULAC said Thursday.

Arizona's immigration law, talk of repealing the 14th Amendment and other measures aimed at undocumented immigrants are part of a movement spreading state to state, said Margaret Moran, president of the League of United Latin American Citizens.

"It's a domino affect. It's all about targeting Latinos," said Moran, who is from San Antonio and was elected president in July.

Moran was in El Paso to formally announce the group's national convention coming to the civic center in 2013. LULAC, which just had is 80th anniversary, is the nation's oldest and largest Hispanic civil-rights organization.

Hispanics in El Paso may not see the discrimination that exists in other parts of the country because the city has a Hispanic majority, Moran said in an interview with the El Paso Times.

"We still don't know why some Latinos and why not others" are victims of discrimination, Moran said. "Is it because maybe they are impoverished? They are poor, not educated. They don't know their rights. It's there. The discrimination is still there."

LULAC filed a lawsuit against Arizona's Senate Bill 1070, which would require police to check the immigration status of people suspected of being in the country illegally. Opponents say the law will lead to the racial profiling of Hispanics. Supporters say it is not about race but necessary to curb illegal immigration. The law is currently in litigation.

"Now, it's a wait-and-see issue and we are hoping to win," Moran said. "We will not stay quiet. We will continue. It is terrible. This governor (Janet Brewer of Arizona) is totally wrong."

There is talk among some conservatives about trying to repeal the 14th Amendment of the Constitution, which grants citizenship to anyone born in the United States, as a way to stop illegal immigration. "That is so absurd," Moran said.

Why are these measures popping up around the nation?

"Personally, I think that there is a worry out there because we (Hispanics) are the majority (in some areas). Many people think, 'Oh, my God, they are going to take over,'" Moran said.

There are 46.8 million Hispanics in the U.S., making it the nation's largest minority group, stated the Pew Hispanic Center.

Margaret Moran's husband, Oscar Moran, was LULAC national president in the mid-1980s. He said discrimination is not always overt.

"It's more latent," Oscar Moran said "They aren't hanging mexicanos from trees. They are not burning their houses. It's 'Come back tomorrow. We will let you know. Sorry, you can't qualify for this loan.'"

"It takes many forms, but it is not as obvious in the past that you had those signs 'No Mexicans allowed,' " he said.

Besides civil-rights issues, the Hispanic community faces myriad challenges, including a high number of high-school drop outs, lack of health-care access and poverty. There are 850 LULAC councils nationwide with programs intended to increase voter turnout, improve financial literacy and award scholarships.

"It all goes back to education," said Margaret Moran, who is the third female president of LULAC. The first female president was Belen Robles of El Paso.

LULAC is also pushing for reform of immigration laws and for passage of the DREAM Act, which would permit undocumented immigrants' children who have grown up in the U.S. the chance to apply for citizenship under certain criteria.

El Paso has a long history with LULAC, whose annual Fiesta de las Flores is this weekend. El Paso beat Houston, Dallas and Atlanta for the right to play host to the national convention.

More than 2,000 delegates and guests are expected to attend the convention July 9-12, 2013. The gathering will have entertainment, workshops and an expo with 400 companies, government agencies and nonprofit groups at the civic center in Downtown El Paso.

The Morans said some members had concerns about bringing the convention to El Paso because of the drug cartel violence in Juárez.

Having the gathering in El Paso is an opportunity to showcase a safe border city while raising awareness of the problems in Juárez, said Oscar Moran, who said he hoped the bloodshed will have ended by the time of the event.

"More than anything that gives us more reason to protect a community that is threatened," Oscar Moran said. "A threat to the community in Juárez is a threat to all of us. We are all Latinos."

More than 6,000 people have been killed in Juárez since 2008 when a turf war began between the Juárez and Sinaloa drug cartels.

"At the end of the day, if there is no market for drugs, there is no money for the cartels over there," Oscar Moran said. "The problem is here also. LULAC -- we have to do our part."
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LULAC is just as stupid as La Raza. Professional moaners and groaners.
    Back in the 70's when I was in high school a friend of mine was shot and killed by a police officer who was under the impression that he was a fleeing robbery suspect. My friend was Latino. The next day, the LULAC idiots were downtown protesting all day claiming that my friend was shot because he was Latino. They drug the protest on for days and it totally pissed me off because none of them even knew my friend and the truth was...the officer who shot him was also Latino.

An anti-Hispanic movement is sweeping across the United States, the national president of LULAC said Thursday.
    It is not anti-Hispanic, it is anti illegal. they seem to be competing with the groups that are protesting the islamaphobics for news time.

Who is going o defend the rights of white americans that being maligned and attacked because of the color of their skin? Or is it really just about MONEY and CONTROL?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Over 80% of all illegals come from south america. And so Lulac and all those other ethnic baiters are doing are saying well you can't go after illegals because you are anti latino! How cute!

america cant help it that the majority of illegals are of hispanic descent.
    if the governments and countries from where these people come from. we would not be having this problem

Check this out, very interesting.

Civil rights movement against racist illegal immigrants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mBxoVCtfk

Oh, my goodness. It's really, really terrible here. Hispanics are continuously victims of discrimination. My best suggestion is that they go home where everyone is treated equally.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's a domino affect. It's all about targeting Latinos," said Moran, who is from San Antonio and was elected president in July.
    It's all about targeting illegal invaders! It's not our fault that 80% of the illegal invaders happen to be latino, which means lulac is screaming for a hands-off policy because they themselves are the racists!

But of course lulac will use these numbers to gin up their race-based position that those who demand our immigration laws be enforced are anti-hispanic!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Like everything else we are dealing with in our country today we simply need to say NO by drawing a line in the sand. Enough is enough. We are a people, we are a nation, we have our values, we have our history etc. we are not the implementation of the United Nations, and sorry NO, we will not be balkanized and sorry I too had to learn English (Greek father and French mother)!

If only all Americans could understand what the illegals and their friends are saying about us there would be a HUGE uproar. The pot is calling the kettle black!

I dont see that happening here. What I do see is Hispanics giving white people mean dirty looks, and/or shouting out racial slurs at white people. Some of them assume that since we cant understand Spanish that we dont know what they are saying. But I have learned a whole bunch of cuss and raciast words that are being thrown our way. And there are some very mean and spiteful Hispanics out there. So from my own experience I dont see a anti-Hispanic movement, I see an anti-white movement by everyone from the president on down to illegal aliens.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn