Local reaction to immigrant initiative mixed
By BECKY W. EVANS
Standard-Times staff writer
July 11, 2008 6:00 AM

Local immigrant advocates, talk radio hosts and elected officials had mixed reactions to Gov. Deval Patrick's executive order aimed at drafting policy recommendations that will help immigrants and refugees better integrate into society.

Corinn Williams, executive director of the Community Economic Development Center of Southeastern Massachusetts, said state agencies can play a key role in mitigating the "barriers of integration" that immigrants face by providing bilingual staff, increasing access to information about programs and services and offering more English classes, especially in workplaces.

She said her advocacy group has been tapped to organize a local or regional hearing that will focus on what the state can do to facilitate integration with regard to human services, economic development, business development and public safety.

Both Ms. Williams and Helena Marques, executive director of the Immigrants' Assistance Center, were present when Gov. Patrick signed the order.

Ms. Marques, who has been a member of the Governor's Advisory Council on Refugees and Immigrants for three administrations, said this is the "first time I've seen the governor sign something like this. ... I think it's a step forward."

She said the order should help prevent the kind of chaos that ensued after the Michael Bianco Inc. raid sent illegal immigrants scrambling for help from state agencies.

"I think it will make things easier during raids, and at the same time, make immigrants feel more welcome into the community," she said.

Ken Pittman, a talk radio host on WBSM-AM in Fairhaven who is opposed to illegal immigration, called the executive order "a disgrace" that will offer "more coordinated services to illegal immigrants."

He said the order will make Massachusetts a magnet for undocumented workers.

"There is now going to be a vortex, a gravitational pull to Massachusetts," he said. "Illegal immigrants will increase ten-fold. I don't think we should be encouraging illegal immigrants."

Mayor Scott W. Lang said Gov. Patrick's so-called New Americans Initiative only makes sense if Congress passes comprehensive immigration reform before the state task force releases its recommendations for integrating immigrants.

"There has to be action by Congress," he said.

And any successful integration program, he said, must begin with illegal immigrants stepping forward and identifying themselves and their families to local officials without fear of deportation.
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc ... 18/OPINION