Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Majority of voters back 'tough but fair' path to citizenship

OBL reporter!!!
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/e ... 86,00.html
    Home › News › Elections
    Poll: Immigration top issue for most
    Majority of voters back 'tough but fair' path to citizenship

By Myung Oak Kim, Rocky Mountain News
    September 18, 2006
    Nearly two of every three Colorado voters think illegal immigrants should be allowed to become U.S. citizens if they pay taxes, learn English and meet other requirements, according to a new Rocky Mountain News/CBS 4 poll.
    Only 15 percent of those polled favor mass deportations.

"People want to be tough but fair," said pollster Lori Weigel. "It's like many issues. You tend to hear from extremes on both ends. Clearly, this data indicate that there's a silent majority that is supportive of a more middle-ground approach."

Still, the poll found that illegal immigration remains a top concern among the state's voters and will be a key issue in the governor's race.

The poll respondents cited illegal immigration and the economy as their biggest concerns. And those most worried about immigration heavily favor Republican candidate Bob Beauprez over Democrat Bill Ritter, by a margin of 36 percentage points.

Based on the poll results, Beauprez will clearly want to focus his campaign on immigration, said political consultant David Kenney.

"It'll be interesting to see how he takes advantage of it, though. At the same time he raises it, he'll have to defend his record in Congress on this issue."

The immigration issue is expected to dominate the political agenda, at least for the near future.

"Voters clearly see that there's more to do on this issue," said Kenney.

Nearly half of the likely voters polled last week said illegal immigration hurts the state more than it helps. But 61 percent said they support an earned citizenship approach, allowing illegal immigrants to stay in the country and eventually become citizens if they meet certain requirements.

The poll findings are based on statewide telephone interviews of 500 registered voters who said they are likely to vote in November. It was conducted Sept. 10 through Sept. 12 by Weigel of Public Opinion Strategies, a firm that generally polls for Republican candidates. Kenney of The Kenney Group, a firm that typically works with Democratic candidates, consulted on the questionnaire and the analysis.

The sample has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.38 percentage points.

Rash of legislation

The illegal immigration issue exploded in Colorado early this year and has not calmed since.

Concern over reform proposals in Congress prompted two of the largest marches ever seen in Denver. An estimated 50,000 immigrants and their supporters marched to Civic Center Park on March 25 and about 75,000 marched on May 1.

Gov. Bill Owens called a special legislative session on immigration after the state Supreme Court disqualified a proposed ballot measure known as Initiative 55, which sought to deny government services to illegal immigrants. Owens accused the court of playing politics and dragging its feet on the decision.

During a five-day special session in July, state lawmakers passed a package of bills, including the landmark House Bill 1023, which requires government agencies to go through a three-step verification process to ensure that applicants for many government benefits are here legally. It is considered one of the toughest anti-illegal immigration laws in the country.

Since spring, state lawmakers passed an unprecedented 17 immigration laws. Pro-immigrant activists are closely watching the impact of Senate Bill 90, which, among other things, directs law enforcement to notify immigration agents after most arrests of suspected illegal immigrants.

Last week's poll indicates that illegal immigration hits home most among Republicans.

Thirty-one percent of Republicans said illegal immigration would be the most important issue in their vote for governor, compared will 8 percent of Democrats and 19 percent of independents.

Ed Marynowski, 51, of Colorado Springs, chose illegal immigration as his top issue because "it's destroying our economy."

Marynowski wants the government to enforce existing laws on immigration, target employers and create ways to deter illegal immigrants from entering the country.

He said he favors Republicans on this issue because "they have a stronger stance."

The typical voter who listed illegal immigration as the top issue this election is a suburban, white, Republican man without a college degree.

The issue also resonates among Hispanic voters. Of those polled, 15 percent said illegal immigration is their top concern. Overall, it ranked third among Hispanics, behind health care and education.

Little impact from laws seen

While a wide range of voters want government to take more action on the immigration problem, they are not impressed with the laws passed by the legislature during the July special session.

Three of four voters polled said they believe the laws will have little or no impact on the illegal immigration problem a year from now.

Robert Pollock, 69, of Loveland, said immigration is "primarily a federal responsibility."

"That problem belongs to George Bush and he's proven that he can't protect the border. It's a federal problem and the federal government should fix it."

Anti-illegal immigrant activist Fred Elbel, co-chairman of Defend Colorado Now, said the lack of confidence in the new state laws is tied to frustration over perceived inaction in Washington.

"People in general have seen the failings at the federal level," Elbel said. "Laws are on the books but they are not enforced. People are generally anticipating the same failure to enforce our laws at the state level."

But pro-immigrant activist Fidel "Butch" Montoya said the new laws already are having a devastating effect on the economy and cited recent reports that farmers are losing millions of dollars because they don't have enough workers to harvest their crops.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Where was this poll taken? On a hispanic website?

The farmers need to invest their money in machines to harvest crops instead of investing in illegal immigrants, it is not fair of the farmers to have access to all this cheap labor, cheap to them, but not to the rest of the US, citizens who have to subsidize the illegals to free health care, food stamps, and free public schooling for their children. No, I can't say I have any compassion for the farmers when it is plain they have none for the rest of the US citizens who are paying throw the teeth for these "cheap" veggies and fruit.
    If you drive around Okla, much you will see prison inmates picking up trash on the side of the road, why can't they also pick veggies and fruit for the farmers instead of using all this "cheap" labor from the south? Another question, why can't people recieving welfare for their children who are able, the ones who are able bodied I might add, pick veggies and fruits, helping themselves and the farmers in the process? What happened to that program , Wefare To Work? I guess it didn't work out after all. There are all kinds of labor in the United States that simply is not taken advantaged of, what is wrong with teenagers in the summer doing this kind of work, it would keep them off the streets and in the gangs, and also help their parents out with a little extra money to help buy school clothes and supplies. Oh I forgot, it is very hard to get them away from their computer and XBOX, games, I probably didn't that name right as I am not real familiar with computer games.
    I have one more idea, if American employers cannot do without their cheap labor force, and that includes the farmers, they should have to sign a contract saying they are completely responsible for these illegal aliens as far as health care, food stamps, housing and also share the responsibility of any crimes these people perpetrate against innocent US citizens while they are here doing all that cheap labor!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Congressman Tencredo, in a speech in Hendersonville, NC,pointed out that these farmers could get VISAs for their immigrant workers that would require them to fill out paperwork, be responsible for them and guarantee that they only stay 10 months. The requests for these VISA's are minimal. I guess it is easier to hire them off the street and pay them under the table.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Do these people ever feel shame? Do they just natually lie or do they always justify it somehow?

Nearly two of every three Colorado voters think illegal immigrants should be allowed to become U.S. citizens if they pay taxes, learn English and meet other requirements, according to a new Rocky Mountain News/CBS 4 poll.
    I'll bet everything I own that is an outright lie!

Let them know what you think!
    kimm@RockyMountainNews.com [/quote]
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

Altura, I thought the same thing. Total misinformation, unless they did the poll in Laredo, Texas or something.

What a pitiful shame......the American people aren't even worthy of the truth ?? Shameful.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Nearly half of the likely voters polled last week said illegal immigration hurts the state more than it helps. But 61 percent said they support an earned citizenship approach, allowing illegal immigrants to stay in the country and eventually become citizens if they meet certain requirements.
    Hmmm, another day, another skewed poll. Besides that, 500 people in Colorado don't represent the 300 million in the United States! The question on the poll probably went something like this: Would you support deportation of 12 million illegal immigrants at a cost of ____(enter your own number) billions to tax paying citizens or would you prefer to see those that have been residing in the country for 5 or more years offered a path to citizenship requiring ______________________ (once again, fill in the blank), which would save billions in tax payer money. I'm sure there was no response offered that covered the enforcement only theory that has illegal immigrants self-deporting.

Amnesty begits amensty - it has been working that way since the first one was given in 1986 (Immigration and Reform Control Act)! We've had seven more since 1986, but yet the illegal immigrants keep pouring in. Amnesty does absolutely nothing, but encourage more illegal immigrants to enter the United States in search of the same thing. The funny thing is, every Rep. and Sen. knows this, but most are only interested in what is best for them in the here and now, not what is best for America 20-50 years from now. It's totally disgusting!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Exactly, MW. It is all in the wording. Think of all the times polls have misled Americans in the past because of the way they manipulate the question to bring about the desired answer.

This is getting pretty childish. I can't believe these people get paid to fool and mislead the American people.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is at least 3 articles I've seen from this author and, until now, I've bit my lip, and not reacted to what I believe to be, was slanted and not fully objective reporting.

And, this one particularly bothers me (speaking as a 3rd generation Scandinavian-American - got to include the hyphenated-American qualifier of course as we are in a hyper-aware multicultural, multi-ethnic society... [sarcasm] - who lives in the suburbs, that is a registered Independent, and has 2+ degrees, is a man, and who is strongly opposed to illegal immigration):

The typical voter who listed illegal immigration as the top issue this election is a suburban, white, Republican man without a college degree.
    Offense taken. And the typical supporter of illegal immigration is...?
    What is the point of including such a comment other that to cast a certain group in a good or bad way?

The typifying of groups of people is, by definition, generalizing about them - Mr./Ms. Kim, would you like me to do the same about you????

My advice: flatly reject any poll that seems bogus... until, you know all the details about the poll and it's methodology: to include -
    * The exact wording of the questions - not just an interpreted summary about the source questions.
    * The number of respondents vs. number of people contacted
    * The methodology used to identify and/or contact respondents
    * Who/whom requested the poll be taken - the 'initiator'
    (etc)
    And, most importantly...
    * Who or whom funded the poll!

And, curiously, why no mention that many other polls have been conducted which have produced results which strongly contrast with those found in this one circumstance?

I'm telling you folks, media bias is a huge problem in it's own right and I wish - I know, I'm asking too much - that we could have a Focus effort specifically geared at 'mythbusting' just pertaining to media alone.

Now, it's time to write this person a letter and put and end to this propaganda. Anybody want to join me...?