Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

Man gets 24 years for home invasion

Man gets 24 years for home invasion
    By Christy Gutowski | Daily Herald Staff
    Published: 9/20/2007 5:17 PM

As the intruder kicks in her front door, the 17-year-old Addison girl's desperate pleas for help quickly turned into blood-curdling screams.

Instead of just imagining her horror, a DuPage County judge was given a front-row seat today while listening to a 911 tape that recorded the crime as it unfolded.

"You could only characterize this as chilling and blood-curdling," DuPage Circuit Judge Robert Anderson said. "From a judge's perspective, it offers a rare insight into the offense and, certainly, the terror and horror she went through is clear on that tape."

The judge sentenced Luis Jaramillo to 24 years in prison for attacking his neighbor early June 21, 2006 after breaking into her Green Oaks Court apartment.

An apologetic Jaramillo, 39, insists he never intended to harm the teen, but she said he repeatedly hit her while trying to pull down her pants. She was home alone watching her 4-year-old niece.

"She just stood there crying watching while he was doing this to me," the teen said in court Thursday. "I feared for her safety so I yelled for her to leave again. I turned and said, with tears in my eyes, 'I don't care if I die. Leave! I love you.' Thankfully, she was able to escape."

Seconds earlier, the teen had called 911 after noises at the door awakened her. While talking to the police dispatcher, the intruder burst through the front door. The teen retreated into her bedroom, where she tried to block him from entry.

But he forced the door open. Within minutes, Addison police officer John Zorbas arrived and thwarted the attack before the teen was seriously injured. The officer is heard on the 911 tape ordering Jaramillo to "Get on the ground! Get on the ground! On your back!"

Jaramillo has remained in jail on a $1 million bond since his arrest. He pleaded guilty to home invasion during an earlier court hearing. He faced six to 30 years in prison.

"With all of my heart, I am asking for forgiveness," he said, through a Spanish interpreter. "If you don't forgive me, I understand. I am sorry."

At the time, Jaramillo admitted downing a bottle of tequila each day. His defense attorney, Scott Brower, argued Jaramillo was suffering from severe alcoholism that led to a psychotic episode. The defendant did not have a violent history.

The jail's licensed psychologist testified a delusional Jaramillo thought the girl, who lived directly upstairs, was trying to communicate to him through the noises he heard between their apartments. A medicated Jaramillo has improved in jail, the expert said.

But prosecutor David Imielski said Jaramillo poses a serious threat to society and should be imprisoned for a long time. Jaramillo had a prior DUI and pending drug case in McHenry County.

Jaramillo must serve half of the 24-year prison term before being eligible for parole. He also receives credit for the year he's spent in jail. Prosecutors said Jaramillo likely be deported rather than be released because he was in the country illegally.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=42274&src=2

n apologetic Jaramillo, 39, insists he never intended to harm the teen,
    YA RIGHT. HE DIDNT MEAN TO HURT HER. HE JUST MEANT TO BREAK INTO HER HOUSE AND RAPE HER WHILE A FOUR YEAR OLD WAS WATCHING.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF SAYING HE IS SORRY WHEN IT WAS SOMETHING HE INTENTIONALLY DID? YOU SAY YOU ARE SORRY FOR SOMETHING YOU DO AND LATER REALIZE YOU MADE A MISTAKE.

AND ON TOP OF EVERYTHING SHE IS A MINOR. HE SHOULD GET LIFE.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)