Man steals car on I-10, leads police on chase

The Mexican national has a long criminal record that includes a six year sentence for armed and aggravated robbery.

Reported by: Christina Boomer
Last Update: 9/29 11:50 pm

A man stole a car from a woman sitting in gridlock on Interstate 10 in Tempe on Saturday, then led police on a high speed chase before crashing into a pickup.

The carjacking victim was sitting in her Honda Accord when, according to Tempe Police Spokesman Whit Roesch, a Hispanic male walked up to her vehicle, unlocked the passenger side door and got in the car.

Officials said the woman began to get out when the suspect grabbed her hands and said, "you leave the keys with me."

The suspect then took off and the victim called 911.

Tempe Police located and began to chase the suspect and car from just past US 60 on I-10, to State Route 143 and then onto University Drive.

At one point, police say they stopped chasing the suspect because they were concerned about public safety.

Just as the suspect was about to get back on State Route 143, he smashed into a pickup packed with landscapers.

The Fire Department transported one of five people in that truck to an area hospital. Police say he is expected to be fine.

The suspect in the carjacking and crash was arrested at the scene and later identified at Manuel Varela.

The Mexican national has a long criminal record that includes a six year sentence for armed and aggravated robbery.

He now faces charges for carjacking, eluding police, and possibly driving under the influence.

The DUI charge is pending and stems from the fact he was found with a six-pack of Bud Light.

Roesch said, "If it wasn't in the car already, he must have brought it with him because I don't think he had time to stop anywhere."

When police arrested him, there were 2 bottles missing.

Copyright 2007 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,

http://www.abc15.com/news/local/story.a ... 6999d2befb

And, the reason this criminal has been allowed to remain in the US is because????? Now I remember ... our broken immigration system.