Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Marion Iowa Mayor Wants Illegal Immigrants Out

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=325092 -
    Posted Online: January 31, 2007 2:13 PM

Easterm Iowa mayor wants illegal immigrants out

MARION, Iowa (AP) -- The city's mayor says he wants to rid his town of illegal immigrants, and is asking other cities in eastern Iowa to join him.

Mayor John Nieland said during his State of the City speech on Tuesday that illegal immigrants and the contractors and subcontractors that hire them are hurting the areas middle class. He called illegal immigrants "criminals.

"I'm not going to flinch on this, they are," Nieland said.

Nieland's comments were met with concern from some members of the audience, including Lee Clancey, president and CEO of the Cedar Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce and former mayor of Cedar Rapids.

Clancey questioned the impact Nieland's plan would have on an initiative, called Diversity Focus, that encourages immigrants to move to the area and work.

"I have some concerns about jeopardizing the effort that is being done up and down the corridor with many, many organizations and many, many businesses," Clancey told Nieland. "How are you going to implement this plan without jeopardizing that important work that is being done to change our culture ... to a more welcoming one?"

Nieland said he supports legal immigrants and doesn't believe his view discourages diversity.

"If you're saying to me I'm too tough on illegal immigrants, I'm sorry, I don't agree with you," Nieland told Clancey. "Not at all. Not when they put our workers out of jobs. And if you don't think it's happening, I ask you to spend some time with the people representing the labor force."

Alfred Ramirez, executive director of Diversity Focus, said he was disappointed that Nieland used his speech to present what he said was an unbalanced view of illegal immigration.

"I have a very difficult time believing that Marion is under siege by undocumented illegal workers," Ramirez said.

------

Information from: The Gazette, http://www.gazetteonline.com/

4 comments on this article
    Posted by Jay at 2:57PM on Wednesday, 1/31/07
    The good mayor is right... illegal aliens (criminals by definition) cannot be tolerated. They need to be rounded up like cattle and removed from the country forthwith. As for nut-job Ramirez's remarks, what the heck is there to discuss about illegals? They're invaders, period. They need the boot, and fast.

Posted by some anonymous person at 3:04PM on Wednesday, 1/31/07
    American culture is very welcoming, perhaps too welcoming. That's why were being run over by illegal immigrants and illegal employers and their advocates like the chamber of commerce.

Posted by Eric from Dana Point, Ca. at 3:08PM on Wednesday, 1/31/07
    I support this mayor 100%. He has the guts to stand up for America. Every other politician that wont do their job, which in part is to PROTECT American interests, should be voted out of office. This is not Mexico and we owe invaders NOTHING.

Posted by randy from marion at 3:30PM on Wednesday, 1/31/07
    He is right Illegls drain our tax dollars and hurt legal Citizens of the U.S.A. We have to pay for emergancy care welfare and to school for them.When all those monies could be givin to legal Citizens.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

City of Marion
    1225 Sixth Ave.
    Marion, IA 52302
    → (319) 743-6300 ←
    city@cityofmarion.org

send the mayor a thumbs up
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Clancey questioned the impact Nieland's plan would have on an initiative, called Diversity Focus, that encourages immigrants to move to the area and work.

"I have some concerns about jeopardizing the effort that is being done up and down the corridor with many, many organizations and many, many businesses," Clancey told Nieland. "How are you going to implement this plan without jeopardizing that important work that is being done to change our culture ... to a more welcoming one?"
    Mr (Chamber of Commence) Clancey is a borg. "Diversity Focus"?

I'll bet you are concerned about jeopardizing (read money) the effort.

Changing our culture
    You mean the culture that has produced America? Why would we want to do as you suggest?

more welcoming
    If that is what you really think about Americans then you don't know Americans at all. You certainly don't know the Americans I do. The warmest, most giving and generous people in the world!

If I was a leftest weiner I'd be crying now about being offended and wanting a public apology but I've come to realize that people like you are in fact borgs. All you can do is carp your mantra over and over again. You've said it so many times you've forgotten which parts are true and which are lies. However I'm tired of people like you Mr Clancy for you pray on those who are ignorant and gullible. You are intent on destroying America and you don't care who you take with you. You folks think we, the "average" Americans, are weak willed and unwilling to sacrifice to protect our hertiage, communities and country. You better think again is all I can tell you.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

I sent the mayor a big thumbs up