Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Martinez's poll numbers take a hit

I don't think this has been posted so far, but if it has, sorry:

IMMIGRATION NEGOTIATIONS
    Martinez's poll numbers take a hit as he takes on higher profile
    BY LESLEY CLARK
    lclark@MiamiHerald.com

WASHINGTON -- Florida Sen. Mel Martinez has earned praise from President Bush and his fellow senators for tirelessly negotiating the imperiled immigration bill -- but the effort may have cost him points at home, a new poll suggests.

The survey released Thursday by the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute says 37 percent of those polled view Martinez favorably -- "his lowest score ever." The Republican senator, who was elected in 2004, scored his highest approval rating of 48 in February

But Martinez fared better than President Bush, whose 32 percent approval rating was his lowest ever in Florida, according to the survey.

The showing comes as Martinez -- who is also serving at Bush's request as general chairman of the Republi- can National Committee -- has been one of the most visible champions of the immigration bill that stalled late Thursday in the Senate.

Before the bill hit a Senate roadblock, Martinez said he has endured brickbats for his support of a proposal that some Republicans passionately oppose, but said he has also heard from folks who were pleased he was making an effort.

"I've had some very positive feedback from people saying, ‘Hang in there,' '' he said.

As for polls, Martinez, who does not face reelection until 2010, says he does not pay them much attention.

The survey of 1,174 Flor- ida voters was conducted May 24 to June 4 -- as the Senate began work on the immigration bill. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.9 percentage points. The poll has included Martinez since he joined the Senate in 2005.

Martinez said he was uncertain if the slump in popularity was related to his role on the immigration measure.

"Obviously a controversial issue will incite controversy, but I came to make a difference and I am doing that," Martinez said

http://www.miamiherald.com/509/story/132515.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Populist--new Activism thread. Come on over and help out--you are so very good at it!!!!

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=67975

Seems that all open border supporters don't look at polls. This man is looking to benefit if Jeb every gets in the white house. Mel must a friend of Jeb's illegal wife. Time to send them back across the border and let Mel swim back to Cuba.

thanks Olivermyboy, I'm on it..
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Jeb won't make it to the White House, his brother has goofed up this country so bad, I don't think anyone will want a tall, dumb idiot to replace a short, dumb idiot.

Over my dead body will another Bush be in power.
    I live in Florida and it is a total mess.
    More people leave than stay in this state.
    No one can afford a place to live and the salaries
    are ridiculous. There is a shortage of all professions
    and jobs, even the most important. No one hires
    full time employees. Even retail can not find teens to
    work. Schools will be closing the coming year for LACK
    of students. What does that tell you. The beaches have
    all become condo-ized and no one can find a place to stay
    for vacation if you could even see our beaches anymore.

I could go on and on, but what is the use.

Now you know why Rockfish moved to Georgia from S FLA!

Martinez looks like your going down with your play mates, if you think the people are going to forget 20 million non English speaking people getting amnesty your brain dead! With this many people getting amnesty by 2010 this country is going to be in one hell of a mess , notice what Kennedy is going through at present 20 years latter Do we look like we have forgotten, I think his state has even finally got the picture, you see people are finally paying attention!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WE NEED EVERYBODY CALLING, FAXING AND E-MAILING, AND POSTING SO WE KNOW WHAT YOUR HEARING. LET THEM KNOW U.S.CITIZENS HAVE COME OUT OF THE SHADOWS AND ARE SEEING THE LIGHT!!!!!!

Link to instrucions and posts
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=67975

Link to Kates new Fax!!

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=67814
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)