Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mass. Gov.-Elect Says No to Trooper Pact

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... e=politics

12-21) 11:41 PST BOSTON (AP) --

Gov.-elect Deval Patrick said Thursday he will rescind a new agreement between the state and federal authorities that allows State Police troopers to arrest illegal immigrants.

The incoming governor said he believes the troopers have enough to do already without having to also enforce the nation's immigration laws.

"If I have that power, I'm going to rescind that agreement," Patrick, a Democrat, told reporters. "I do believe I have that power."

On Dec. 13, Republican Gov. Mitt Romney signed an agreement with federal authorities allowing troopers to arrest and seek deportation of suspected illegal aliens they encountered during their normal duties.

Under the terms of the deal with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, an initial group of 30 troopers was to receive five weeks of specialized training next year, paid by the federal government.

Romney, a potential candidate for president in 2008, said at the time: "The scope of our nation's illegal immigration problem requires us to pursue and implement new solutions wherever possible."

The change marks the second split with the Romney administration in two days. On Wednesday, Patrick said he cannot support a plan to remove tolls on the western portion of the Massachusetts Turnpike.

Patrick takes office Jan. 4.

Is this what the citizens of Massachusetts want? Did he run pledging he'd do this?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    Jean wrote:

Is this what the citizens of Massachusetts want? Did he run pledging he'd do this?
    I'm sure big daddy Ted Kennedy has already informed the future Governor of Mass. what is expected of him. While Kennedy doesn't control the Governor of Mass., I'm sure he can be an intimidating force when he wants to be. That especially holds true for a newbie.

Seriously, Sen. Kennedy probably doesn't have anything to do with the decision, but I like to blame him however and whenever I can.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

How did I know this governor is a Democrat even before reading the article? What do you expect from people who keep re-electing Ted Kennedy