Greeley's Mayor, Tom Selders, once again shows how he supports big business and could care less about the average US citizen:

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/2007 ... /102040097

Mayor: Greeley can be a successful example of immigration reform

Guest Commentary by Tom Selders
February 4, 2007

During the past several months, and especially since the December Swift & Co. packing plant raids, I have become increasingly concerned about the controversy as well as the emotional comments that have surfaced in our community. I'm sure, that like me, you've been thinking, "What is the city of Greeley doing about all this?"

The enforcement of immigration policy and laws is the responsibility of the federal government. Nonetheless, local government, by virtue of being the closest to the people, does become involved. It is our police and fire personnel, streets and parks and recreation employees, and all service and clerical staff that interact, on a daily basis, with all the people who live here.

I have had calls and comments relayed to me that indicate strong emotional and polarizing points of view. Some say that we should "put all the illegals on a bus and get them out of here" and "send them back home." Conversely, many express to me the economic need for workers in agriculture, in the Swift plant and in many other businesses throughout the community. Some suggest very radical approaches to dealing with what is perceived as "huge numbers" of illegal immigrants. Others suggest a more moderate approach along the lines of immigration reform, guest worker programs, etc.

In order to plan and take meaningful action to deal with these issues, I have been working with the city manager and others and suggest a three prong approach:

«We must work closely with our two senators and representative in Congress and urge them to write some legislation that will bring about meaningful immigration reform. I hope Congress will consider some type of guest worker program to relieve our labor shortages, improve government tools to help employers screen out unauthorized workers, while protecting and ensuring our national security and the identity of all our citizens.

«We must continue a dialogue in the community on how we all get along better and become more inclusive. In this regard, City Manager Roy Otto has convened a group that is forming ideas and will soon have some recommendations. Their effort is funded by a Colorado Trust grant and includes people from more than 20 different organizations who have perspectives and opinions on various sides of the issues. This group will begin having community meetings in March. We will also be looking at becoming an "inclusive community" as a part of a program sponsored by the National League of Cities.

«We must listen to each other and respect people with all points of view. I urge residents to contact me and city council members to express their opinions and feelings. I may be reached by calling 396-1624.

Greeley residents have a history of rising to the challenge and successfully addressing problems. If we work together, with constructive and practical solutions, we can become a positive force and a successful example for immigration reform and inclusion.

Tom Selders is the mayor of Greeley.