Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Mayor intends to set record straight on Farmers Branch

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 26ca1.html

Mayor intends to set record straight on FB

He says city has been inaccurately portrayed during immigrant debate

12:00 AM CDT on Tuesday, September 5, 2006

By STEPHANIE SANDOVAL / The Dallas Morning News

Farmers Branch has been inaccurately portrayed during the contentious debate over illegal immigration, Mayor Bob Phelps said.

Today, he hopes to set the record straight.

The City Council is expected to discuss the legalities of suggestions by two council members of possible ordinances that would make it harder for illegal immigrants to live and work in the city.

But that consultation with their attorney will take place behind closed doors during executive session.

Mr. Phelps said Monday that no action would be taken today, and that no announcement would be made after the meeting with their attorney, of whether the council plans to drop the matter or pursue the ideas later.

But the mayor said he would make a statement regarding some of the assertions made during two weeks of impassioned public debate over illegal immigration.

Among the assertions he takes issue with are those made by council member Tim O'Hare, who has said the city's neighborhoods are in a state of decay, property values are declining, crime rates are up and school rankings are falling.

'Portrayed wrong'

"I think it has been portrayed wrong," Mr. Phelps said. "That's not true. Our crime rate is down, our schools have moved up to recognized, property values are up."

He said Mr. O'Hare's assertions about the state of Farmers Branch and suggestions to control illegal immigrants in the city were misguided. "I think it was a ploy to gain personal recognition," Mr. Phelps said.

Mr. O'Hare said it's not a ploy to do anything except improve the city and do what residents want.

"As far as this being a political ploy, I think it is the right thing to do," Mr. O'Hare said. 'I'm sorry if some people don't have the courage to stand up and do the right thing. But if you ask a majority of our citizens, this is something that they want."

Mr. Phelps said Mr. O'Hare wants to be mayor someday.

Mr. O'Hare would neither confirm nor deny that on the record.

"There are many people out there who want to recall [Mr. Phelps]," he said. "I've told them not to do it. If this was a political ploy, I'd say, 'Yes, recall him, and I'll run.' "

He said he's told supporters who are frustrated with Mr. Phelps' hesitation to enact local ordinances restricting illegal immigrants that a recall of the mayor is not necessary because Mr. Phelps doesn't have a vote on the council unless there is a tie.

However, Mr. O'Hare said Monday that he might change his tune about recalling the mayor.

Explaining assertions

He also stands behind his assertions about the city.

While the elementary and middle school rankings rose, the two high schools Farmers Branch children attend are ranked satisfactory; while crime might be down, the city still has one of the highest rates of crime per capita among North Texas cities; and the nearly 1 percent increase in residential property values this year is disturbing, Mr. O'Hare said.

"That's not acceptable in any circumstance," he said.

"I don't know what world he's living in, but all those things I've said are accurate," Mr. O'Hare said. "I've never said blame every one of those things solely on illegal immigrants. Do I think that plays a part? Yes. Anyone who doesn't think it plays a part is ignoring reality."

Council member Bill Moses said the portrayal by Mr. O'Hare is inaccurate and creates fear in residents, prompting them to flock to his support.

"There are a lot of people who are scared, and this is their way of reacting," Mr. Moses said. "When somebody starts telling you your property values are going down ... people get scared."

Mr. Phelps and Mr. Moses said that they oppose illegal immigration and that something must be done. But they say it's a federal matter and the city should continue focusing on improving the city in other ways, including code enforcement.

The proposed 2006-07 city operating budget includes funding for additional code enforcement staffing.

Meanwhile, Mr. Phelps said the controversy in Farmers Branch has put him in a difficult position.

The suggested ordinances have had civil rights and Hispanic groups crying racism.

Mr. O'Hare and Mr. Phelps said the suggested ordinances are intended to affect only illegal immigrants and not anyone of any particular national origin or ethnicity.

But Mr. Phelps said he understands how Mr. O'Hare's comments in the last two weeks can be construed that way.

A city divided

It's dividing the city, Mr. Phelps said. "It's tough, because I've got friends and neighbors out there that think this is a great idea. They never stop to think that some of these things are illegal. We could be sued, hauled into court and spend millions of dollars defending ourselves and never accomplish a thing," Mr. Phelps said.

Many of the ideas mirror an ordinance passed by Hazleton, Pa., this summer. But, according to news reports, the mayor of that town said recently that officials are considering revising the ordinances after being sued three times over them.

Mr. Phelps said he worries the city will face the same situation.

"I think it's foolish for Farmers Branch, as small as it is, to take on the whole world," he said.

E-mail ssandoval@dallasnews.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm getting so tired of such cowardess amongst our elected officials. Mayor Phelps is echoing the exact same thing my local GOP leader said about O'Hare, that it is a political move, nothing more. O'Hare wants attention, yada, yada, yada. PLEASE!!!
    Let's wait for the federal government to do something?! When will that be? Try never! The Senate might as well be referred to as the UN, trying to appease the wrong doers rather than punishing them. At least the House is taking somewhat of a stand.
    I read yesterday where our candidate for Congress, Van Taylor, was going to be in an uphill battle to defeat the incumbent Chet Edwards. While I don't know Edwards stance on immigration, Taylor is against a guest worker program. Edwards is a democrat, but tends to be a bit wishy-washy on the issues. I'll have to check on him. As of right now, Taylor has my vote. I hope he'll continue to keep his stand, and that the House will stay strong.
    I will be at the Farmers Branch courthouse tonight. We'll see what happens.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!