TRANSLATED FROM:
http://newsok.com/residentes-podrian-ut ... e/3256011/

Univision News, Oklahoma

Recently the Consul of Mexico in Little Rock, Arkansas, Andrés Chao, carried out a fast visit to our city. Chao met with mayor Mick Cornett and with the Oklahoma city police chief Bill City, behind closed doors. Upon informing us, immediately we requested the corresponding interviews to investigate what motivated the Consul Chao to meet with senior officials of our city. The Mexican consul presented a proposal, which consists of the possibility that the police of Oklahoma, accepts the matricula consular as identification, for those Mexican citizens that do not have legal status.

Reporter Oscar Ruiz interviews Little Rock Arkansa's Mexican Consul Andres Chao.

Ruiz: We were informed that you presented an excellent proposal and documentation on the Matricula Consular?

Chao: "Yes I did, I presented the characteristics of a matricula consular besides I showed them that our matricula consular is of high-quality, besides containing characteristics of high security, I would almost say, it is impossible of duplicating (…) up to now there isn't the possibility exists that 2 people have registered for two matricula consular since we include a database in which all the consulates are connected to the embassies in al over the world".

Ruiz: What was the answer of the officials of Oklahoma?

Chao: "I can tell you that it was very satisfactory. The Police chief as well as the mayor were very optimistic and they are contemplating the possibility that very quickly they will accept our registration as identification. This doesn't mean that the registration can be utilized as driver's license, but it would serve like an identification at the moment a person is under arrest by agents of the Oklahoma police.

Ruiz: How would you summarize the meeting with the officials of Oklahoma?

Chao: "They took my proposal with a lot of optimism, clearly they cannot decide overnight. We extended them an invitation to visit us and to verify all the information that we offer them".

This would be an excellent option for undocumented individuals that do not have some form of identification, since many are taken to county jail to corroborate their identity, from there it very difficult set them free, since by not having legal immigration status, they are immediately detained and reported to Immigration.

Coincidentally, at the end of May, the Immigration Service and the Department of Homeland Security announced that in Oklahoma deportations increased 40%, when law l804 began, and this significant increase is attributed to the contribution of the local police force, as the police agencies of the different agencies of our state.

In exclusive the spokesman of the Oklahoma Police Department (Paco Balderrama) confirmed to us the meeting and he commented:

"I was in the meeting and the mayor as well as the the police cheif lisstened very attentively to the proposal of Mr.Chao. Both commented that the proposal is excellent and we are studying this possibility for a very near future".

Ruiz: Are there plans for the Oklahoma Police Department, to visit the neighboring state of Arkansas?

Balderrama: "The Consul offered to open the offices of his consulate in the neighboring state of Arkansas, so that our agents can observe the process of obtaining a Mexican Matricula Consular card".