Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

McCain challenges rivals on immigration

McCain challenges rivals on immigration

By BRENDAN FARRINGTON, Associated Press Writer
    Sun Jun 3, 6:50 PM ET

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record) has a message for other Republican presidential candidates: Opposing an immigration bill for political gain will only worsen the problems of undocumented immigrants and an unsecured border.

McCain plans to talk about the bill at an event here Monday, and excerpts of his prepared remarks take aim at other Republicans in the race.

"I would hope they wouldn't play politics for their own interests if the cost of their ambition was to make this problem even harder to solve," McCain said in the prepared remarks obtained by The Associated Press.

He is delivering his remarks in the Miami area, which has large Hispanic and Haitian populations considered sympathetic to immigrants.

McCain is alone among major Republicans seeking the presidency in pushing for a compromise bill that would provide border security while allowing a path to legalization for many of the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants.

Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani — McCain's chief rivals — oppose the measure to varying degrees, even though they have made statements in the past in which they appeared to support a similar measure the Senate previously considered.

"I make one pledge to you that I will keep no matter what. I will never conduct my campaign in such a way that it makes our country's most difficult challenges harder to solve. I hope you will hold all candidates to that same standard. Pandering for votes on this issue, while offering no solution to the problem, amounts to doing nothing," McCain said. "And doing nothing is silent amnesty."

President Bush supports the bill, as does Florida Sen. Mel Martinez (news, bio, voting record), who also serves as general chairman of the Republican National Committee. The issue has divided Republicans, many of whom criticize the bipartisan bill as rewarding illegal behavior.

McCain stresses, however, that undocumented immigrants who declare themselves have to pass a criminal background check, pay fines and taxes, learn English and meet other requirements before eventually being offered the possibility of citizenship.

"Critics of the bill attack this as amnesty and a special path to citizenship that is denied to lawful immigrants. Both charges are false," McCain said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070603/ap_ ... mmigration
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Then Loon is on the lose again
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"McCain stresses, however, that undocumented immigrants who declare themselves have to pass a criminal background check"

Heck most of the 3rd world countires these criminals are from don't even keep good enough records know.What makes you think these 3rd world counties will even assist you in doning these back ground checks. Thats if the criminal even gives his real name. What a joke you are McCain.

will the insanity ever stop?
    gawd this man is so out of touch and stupid

McCain is a liar. The proposed "background check," that has to be done in 24 hours is a joke, and who is going to collect the fines and back taxes and check on if they're learning English, (will they be deported if they split their infinitives??) This is the same recycled BS used in the 1986 amnesty...so yes, banana McCain, it IS an amnesty, you know that so STOP LYING!!

Somebody must have given McBrainless a whiff of oxygen or a shot of adrenaline, he's resumed beating his very dead horse.
    Give it up for God's sake!
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>

Who let the dog out?

"I would hope they wouldn't play politics for their own interests if the cost of their ambition was to make this problem even harder to solve," McCain said in the prepared remarks obtained by The Associated Press.
    Howcome he chose to make this statement in a place like Coral Gables where the illegals have overun the city. I sure would have like to see the response if he had made this statement in a place like Waycross, Ga.