Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

McCain criticized over controversial Hispanic outreach volun

McCain criticized over controversial Hispanic outreach volunteer
    Chad Groening

Senator McCain (R-Arizona)An advocate for making English the official U.S. language says he will not even consider supporting John McCain for president as long as he has a controversial “non-paidâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

McCain's Hispanic outreach adviser angers some conservatives
    By EUNICE MOSCOSO
    Friday, February 15, 2008

WASHINGTON — Sen. John McCain appears to be mending many fences with conservatives lately, but groups that advocate stronger immigration controls are still angry about policies that he's supported.

The latest evidence of the rift is brewing on conservative Web sites, blogs and radio shows, where many are questioning McCain's choice of Latino outreach adviser, Juan Hernandez.

Hernandez, who was born in Texas, served in former Mexican President Vicente Fox's cabinet, making him the first U.S. citizen to ever serve such a role. He has been an outspoken advocate for immigrants, both legal and illegal, and has appeared many times on cable television news, often promoting a McCain-sponsored bill that would have given many illegal immigrants a path to citizenship.

In one clip, from 2001, Hernandez said that Mexicans who have been in the United States for generations should always think of "Mexico first." The video clip has been circulating on conservative sites, including those that advocate stronger enforcement against illegal immigrants.

Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, a Washington think tank that advocates reduced immigration, says that Hernandez is "a flamboyant supporter of open borders."

"He rejects in principle the idea that we should have assimilation and we should have border enforcement," Krikorian said. "McCain has appointed a former foreign government official to do his outreach to American citizens."

Krikorian wrote a column on the subject last month for the conservative National Review online magazine. He said that choosing Hernandez proves that McCain is not serious about border enforcement.

McCain has shifted his rhetoric on immigration, stating that he will secure the border first before considering any legalization plan, but he has never repudiated the immigration overhaul bill that he co-sponsored. In presidential debates, McCain showed a softer tone than other Republicans on immigration, saying several times that illegal immigrants are "God's children."

In an essay last year, Hernandez strikes a similar position, saying that "comprehensive reform is consistent with the Christian values of mercy and compassion towards strangers."

Hernandez was born in Fort Worth and has a Mexican father and an American mother, according to a biography on his Web site. He was a professor at the University of Texas at Dallas, where he founded the Center for U.S.-Mexico Studies. He has also been a senior fellow at the Reform Institute, a non-profit think tank started by McCain and others. He is on leave from the institute while he volunteers for the McCain campaign.

In theFox administration in Mexico, Hernandez headed the President's Office for Mexicans Abroad, a cabinet position that operated from Los Pinos, the Mexican White House. The job's main goal, according to the biography, was "to serve and dignify" the 24 million Mexicans who lived in foreign lands.

Hernandez published a book last year, "The New American Pioneers: Why Are We Afraid of Mexican Immigrants?" In 2001, Hispanic Business magazine named him one of the 100 most influential Hispanics in the United States. He is also an Evangelical Christian and has organized Latino Evangelical leaders to support McCain's immigration bill.

Hernandez did not return e-mails or phone calls for comment. The McCain campaign did not return phone calls either.

McCain was asked about his Hispanic outreach adviser at a town hall-type forum in Florida last month. McCain said that Hernandez is on the staff "because he supports my policies and my proposals and my legislative proposal to secure the borders first."

"I don't know what his previous positions are or other positions are," McCain said. "I've made very clear my position on immigration. ././.I promise you, I will secure our borders, I will not allow anyone to come here illegally."

Frank Sharry, executive director of the National Immigration Forum, an immigrant advocacy group, said that Hernandez is "an interesting character" who is "a proud American" and "a proud Mexican."

Sharry also said that conservative groups should be careful who they attack.

"If they're going to turn an evangelical Latino into a punching bag, that might not be good for the (Republican) party," he said.

On the Web:

Juan Hernandez: http://www.juanhernandez.org

John McCain presidential campaign: http://www.johnmccain.com/

Center for Immigration Studies: http://www.cis.org

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/conte ... 5_AUS.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)