Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

McCain defends immigration stance in Scranton

McCain defends immigration stance in Scranton

Sen. John McCain veered off-topic today in a speech in Scranton, focusing on an issue that has become a focal point in the district's congressional race, if not the presidential election: immigration.

"I'd like to talk about one more issue with you that has been important to the people in this audience and the leadership of our Irish-American organizations throughout America and that is immigration," McCain said at the tail end of his speech at the Scranton Cultural Center Monday.

McCain spent five minutes -- of the 20-minute speech -- explaining his push for a path to citizenship and a broad overhaul of the country's immigration laws last year and pledged to renew that fight should he win the presidency. "I knew that if I took on the issue of illegal immigration it was going to hurt me in my own party," he said. "We cannot have a continuing situation where there are 12 million people in this country illegally where there are broken borders."

He continued: "We will enact comprehensive immigration reform so that we can put people -- after they have to do certain things, obviously -- give them a path to citizenship in this country as part of an overall immigration reform package. That’s what I’ll do. That is what my leadership is about. This nation is stronger for the infusion of fresh blood and vitality that has come to this nation in wave after wave – Irish, Italians, Poles. Everybody who has come to this country has enriched our nation, including our Hispanic citizenry."

The aside was an interesting choice for McCain. Northeast Pennsylvania has become the epicenter of the illegal immigration fight after Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta proposed broad new laws to crack down on illegal immigrants two years ago. But to many in the area, McCain falls on the wrong side of the issue and it seemed an interesting that he'd highlight that difference in a visit to the area.

The choice, in the end, seemed designed to highlight McCain's maverick appeal at the risk of turning off the fervent anti-immigration crowd.

http://blogs.mcall.com/penn_ave/2008/09 ... fends.html

McCain's "reasoning" for mass amnesty is ridiculous. And gee, I wonder why he didn't spout his amnesty schemes when he addressed CPAC.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    I passed this on by e-mail to over 200 friends and family members that are P.O. over the Illegal Immigration Crisis
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

He is an ass...just like all the rest, doesn't matter what the rest of America wants!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

He FOR SURE does not have my vote. I have written them several times on this issue. Diversity is not good for this country.

MW
    I'm curious to know how the crowd reacted to his comments regarding the awarding of amnesty to illegal aliens.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think he is getting senile.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

These politicians so obviously pander and adapt like cameleons.

This country so needs a strong leader but I don't know if the media and political climate of these times would allow such a person. Very sad.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

DJ
    Hearing his speech about pushing for amnesty did it for me. As much as I really like Sarah Palin, they just lost my vote. It's Ron Paul time for me.

This nation is stronger for the infusion of fresh blood and vitality that has come to this nation in wave after wave – Irish, Italians, Poles. Everybody who has come to this country has enriched our nation, including our Hispanic citizenry."
    He likens illegal aliens to CITIZENS?!?!?! What a clueless old man.

Amnesty is not needed for CITIZENS or even LEGAL immigrants, only criminals. He has offended millions of us who emigrated legally, I think he forgets those of us who did it LEGALLY. Foolish man!
    "