Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

McCain on LI visit pushes immigration bill

McCain on LI visit pushes immigration bill

BY TIMOTHY ROBERTSON.timothy.robertson@newsday.com

June 23, 2007

Presidential hopeful John McCain appeared in Upper Brookville yesterday for a fundraiser in which he said he was "guardedly optimistic" about the success of immigration reform legislation that will return to the Senate for consideration on Tuesday.

The Arizona Republican, a co-signer of the immigration bill, which secures the Mexican borders and puts 12 million illegal immigrants on a path to citizenship, spoke at an event hosted by real estate magnate Mark Broxmeyer.

The fundraiser drew approximately 220 people to Broxmeyer's residence and brought in more than $340,000 for the candidate, campaign officials said.

He will make a second fundraising stop on Long Island, in Southampton, later this week.

At the Upper Brookville event, McCain said he hopes to have the immigration reform legislation wrapped up by the end of the week, before Congress breaks for the Fourth of July recess.

"There will be some tough votes," the senator said. "I think we have the votes; I'm guardedly optimistic."

The bill will need 60 votes on Tuesday in a test vote that would limit debate on the legislation.

Two weeks ago, the test vote only received 45 yeas - and just seven from Republicans, meaning that debate was open-ended and the bill could be bogged down.

The candidate warned that if the stalled legislation isn't pushed through before the break, it "maybe a long time before we take it up again."

"If we do nothing, we have broken borders, we have 12 million people with de facto amnesty," said McCain, who has drawn sharp disapproval from the conservative base for his position on the issue.

Congress' inability to compromise on the immigration issue is an example of an increasingly polarized Washington, causing congressional approval ratings to plummet, the senator said.

While his immigration stance brings criticism from the right, McCain's support of the troop surge in Iraq continues to draw criticism from the left.

But McCain maintained his stance last night that critics need to give the surge time to succeed.

"Just last week the final part of was put in place," he said. "If we withdraw, in my view, we will have chaos in the region and they will want to follow us home."

http://www.newsday.com/search/ny-licain ... 2735.story
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

csa
    John McCain is (Hell, I don't know what to say.)
    <blockquote><blockquote><blockquote><blockquote><d iv>"The issue today is the same as it has been throughout all history, whether man shall be allowed to govern himself or be ruled by a small elite."</d

No on ever said people "with" money were smart!!!! Donating it to McCain proves it.

He may as well light his cigars witht the $ he received at this fund raiser as it will be a waste to spend it on a campaign as he is a sure loser.
    On just about every talk radio program I listen to, the hosts have been saying that he's finished.
    I guess in his own feeble mind, he is still the front runner.
    Last night Quinippiac called me to take part in a poll. I was only too happy to dis both McCain and Guiliani.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

The fundraiser drew approximately 220 people to Broxmeyer's residence and brought in more than $340,000 for the candidate, campaign officials said.
    $340,000 / 220 = Approx $1550 a piece that was donated by these 220 people who obviously are well to do, probably as employers, not employees. What does that tell ya?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)