Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

McCain Says Supporting Immigration Legislation Hurt Campaign

McCain Says Supporting Immigration Legislation Hurt Campaign

By Nicholas Johnston

Oct. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Republican presidential candidate John McCain said his support of legislation to give illegal immigrants a way to gain legal status has hurt his campaign.

McCain, a U.S. senator from Arizona, was a major supporter of immigration legislation that died in the Senate in June because of opposition from other Republicans.

The senator said he is now committed to making sure the borders are secure before implementing broader changes to U.S. immigration law. ``I got the message,'' he said in an interview on ``Fox News Sunday.''

McCain's presidential campaign has suffered from low poll ratings in the early voting states of Iowa and New Hampshire, and poor fundraising. He trails former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani in money and public support.

McCain, 71, said he hasn't decided whether he will accept public financing for his campaign and said borrowing money ``is not something I would prefer to do'' though he is ``not going to rule anything out.''

To contact the reporter on this story: Nicholas Johnston in Washington at njohnston3@bloomberg.net .

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

DUHHHHH
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

Give it up Juan, it's OVER!!!!
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>

I don't trust him. We have all seen them say one thing and do another. Seeing that he wanted reform is enough for me. No vote here. I don't care if he starts deporting out of his own state Monday morning. I still would never trust him.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

`I got the message,'' he said in an interview on `Fox News Sunday.
    I doubt it, but we'll see if and how he votes on the nightmare act.

Sen. Brownback said the same thing.

Memo to the RNC and Dems: the American people oppose amnesty!

Call the Senate: NO Dream Act Amnesty !
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Paige
    I don't trust him. We have all seen them say one thing and do another. Seeing that he wanted reform is enough for me. No vote here. I don't care if he starts deporting out of his own state Monday morning. I still would never trust him.
    I hate this paranoia, but I agree with you. And I feel the same way about my two senators, Chambliss and Isakson. I want to vote against both of them, but I hope that when the opportunity comes there will be a better alternative.

Hey McCain, get this "message" too:

Na na na na, na na na na - HEY, HEY, HEY - GOODBYE!

He didn't sound any better on last nights debates. He said he has changed his stance on illegal immigration because of the public outrage. He said he is now listening to the people. What I don't understand is what kind of man is he that he would want the country to be like his own destroyed state Arizonia.
    This guy is clueless. I admire him for his war days and courage but I think he needs to stay where he is. He does not stand a chance.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

He still avoids (refuses) discussing deportation. He did a sort of mea culpa and said he got the message: 'that we must secure the border first.'

I have to insist that he did not get the message. He is still framing his remarks in the context that all of America agrees that the illegals already in the U.S. can be given citizenship if the government just secures the border.

It would be so helpful if one of the moderators would just ask the question directly: "Will you act to deport the people who are in the U.S. illegally?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast