http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1214876 ... lenews_wsj

McCain Crowd Tough on Immigration

July 1, 2008; Page A6
PIPERSVILLE, Pa. -- Sen. John McCain has tilted his position on immigration to the right, but he continues to be greeted by supporters who want him to take an even tougher line.

At a town-hall meeting at Worth & Company Inc., a woman asked: "Why as an American do I have to push a button to speak English?" The crowd roared with applause.

"I think you struck a nerve," Sen. McCain said.

"I'll tell you, I really get ticked," the woman continued. "You go into Lowe's and it says 'Entrada,' " or entrance.

Sen. McCain gave his standard reply that comprehensive immigration reform, which he pushed for, can't happen until the borders are secure. After that, he said, the nation needs a temporary-worker program "that's truly temporary," and must address the 12 million people in the U.S. illegally.

But he also said that the U.S. should be a welcoming place. "There's a great thing about America and that is that we welcome all cultures from all over the world," he said. "And we love the Hispanic heritage. We love the Irish heritage."

Sen. McCain quickly added: "But English must be learned by everybody." Applause followed.