Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

McCain spot:'A Monumentally Stupid Ad' (UPDATED: Maybe not.)

Friday, July 11, 2008

JOHN MCCAIN

'A Monumentally Stupid Ad' (UPDATED: Maybe not.)

You know that relentless McCain basher Ed Morrissey at Hot Air? Well, his take on the latest McCain ad — entitled "God's Children" — is that it is "a monumentally stupid ad. It spends a full minute saying nothing about the issue it supposedly addresses, and it insults the intelligence of the people whom McCain is trying to woo. And I’m someone who has a little more sympathy for McCain’s efforts on immigration than most on the Right."

I wanted to add something to Ed's displeasure with the ad, but I can't improve upon this:

I figure this is this sounds now like a deliberate provocation to the Right, who in fairness have never — never — discounted the contributions of Hispanic citizens and legal residents, especially not their long history of service to this nation. The issue is illegal immigration and border security, not whether we know that Americans of Hispanic descent have risked and given their lives for us.

Don't worry, Ed. This morning the McCain campaign is holding a conference call with Senator Mel Martinez of Florida, and I'm sure he'll smooth everything over with amnesty opponents who feel insulted.

Am I the only one who would prefer an ad pointing out that while Hillary flip-flopped on Eliot Spitzer's plan to give driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, Barack Obama supports the idea?

UPDATE: A couple readers, some of Latino heritage, some not, say they like the ad a lot more than Ed and I do. They think it will work in the states it is running - Nevada, New Mexico, and Colorado.

07/11 09:31 AM
    http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/ ... kyYTU3MjE=

The 'God's Children' ad running on YouTube now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0cNqtUtufo

Before watching this tripe, be sure to have a barf bag handy.
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

Yeah that stomach-turner has been running here 'cause McTraitor thinks Americans don't matter just the illegals and 'immigrants'. We're all God's children...WTH does this have to do with invasion, colonization and law-breakers? Let all the prisoners all out of jail cause we're all God's children. McDoofus should give all his and wifey's money to the people 'cause we're all God's children. Why does HE need to be president, we all can be the co-presidents 'cause we're all God's children. NONSENSE garbage talk. No, not all are God's children, some are Satan's spawn like Benedict McCain!
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

uh uhhh blaaaaaaaaa oh ohhhhh blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! What the he... blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I I mean aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nooooooo aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

MCCAIN CAMPAIGN

Friday, July 11, 2008
    New McCain ad touts Latinos military service
    Republican candidate wooing key growing electorate
    By DENA BUNIS
    The Orange County Register
    Comments 6| Recommend 0

In the midst of three appearances before Latino activist groups, Republican presidential hopeful John McCain today unveiled a new television ad aimed at that audience. The spot can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0cNqtUtufo and is being aired on television in Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico.

Title: God's Children

Length: 60 seconds

Visual: The spot opens with an image of of the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, D.C. with words superimposed showing that McCain's voice over comes from the June 5, 2007 GOP primary debate in New Hampshire. As McCain talks, we see images of the memorial, of the Korean War Memorial and of McCain meeting with soldiers. Then we see McCain at the debate, standing in front of the audience with his fellow Republican hopefuls behind him. As McCain talks about immigrants enriching the nation the cameras shows Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo, a former presidential candidate who strongly opposes any benefits for illegal immigrants and has favored a moratorium on new immigration.

Script: McCain: "My friends, I want you the next time you're down in Washington, D.C., to go to the Vietnam War Memorial and look at the names engraved in black granite. You'll find a whole lot of Hispanic names.

"When you go to Iraq or Afghanistan today, you're going to see a whole lot of people who are of Hispanic background.

"You're even going to meet some of the few thousand that are still green card holders who are not even citizens of this country, who love this country so much that they're willing to risk their lives in its service in order to accelerate their path to citizenship and enjoy the bountiful, blessed nation.

"So let's from time to time remember that these are God's children. They must come into country legally, but they have enriched our culture and our nation as every generation of immigrants before them."

Analysis: In this spot, McCain is attempting to play to what could be a decisive electorate in three battleground states – Latinos. Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico have not traditionally been considered battlegrounds states. But in 2004, President Bush won New Mexico by less than 1 percent; Nevada by 2.6 percent, and Colorado by 4.7 percent. The Democrats are hoping those states will be in play and an increased Latino vote could make the difference.

But McCain – who as senator from Arizona has long had good support in the Hispanic community – has come under fire for saying in January that he wouldn't vote now for the comprehensive Immigration bill he co-authored with Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass. In two appearances before Latino groups in the past two weeks he advocated the enforcement-first strategy he pushed during the GOP primary season. He did also say that there is more to do on the issue and stressed the humanitarian needs of immigrants.

Advocates for broad immigration change point out that he has stopped using the word "comprehensive" and they won't agree with McCain's spokesmen who repeatedly say the senator has not changed his position on the issue until he again calls for a comprehensive fix to the immigration problem.

In the meantime, McCain's Democratic opponent, Barack Obama, has been slamming him for "abandoning" his views on immigration. In this spot, by calling it "God's Children'' and focusing on the military service of Hispanics, McCain is attempting to reclaim whatever political capital he may have lost with Latinos as a result of the hammering he has taken from Obama on this issue.

The timing of this spot is also key. On Monday, McCain will speak to another Latino group – the National Council of LaRaza in San Diego. Obama speaks to the gathering on Sunday.

Contact the writer: (202) 628-6381 or dbunis@ocregister.com

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mcca ... pot-latino

What else can we expect from a Monumentally Stupid Man?

He is sooooo done!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Senator McCAMNESTY still enjoys poking United States Citizens with his AMNESTY stick!

Yet more proof that Amnesty John McCain has not changed one iota from summer. He still supports amnesty for tens of millions illegal aliens. He simply has no credibility on the issue of illegal immigration.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

McCain talks about securing the borders and then have the border states' governors certify that the borders are secure. Question is, do you trust these Governors?

Why doesn't McCain come clean and invite American citizens from the middle class coupled with Representatives to certify the sealing of the border..you know, a joint venture. Damn liar. These governors will certify when its not sealed and then..lookout..amnesty for all. McCain is scamming us about this. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have gone to Mexico or would he have ever addressed La Racist

McCain has even backed off from his already weak, misleading pledge to secure the border first, e.g. saying recently that he would make "comprehensive" reform a top priority in his first 100 days in office, adding: “It will be my top priority yesterday, today, and tomorrow.â€