McCain's 'Maverick' Streak Appeals to Newspapers

(CNSNews.com) - Several leading Florida newspapers, including The Palm Beach Post, Orlando Sentinel, and Gainesville Sun, have endorsed John McCain for president, his campaign said. According to The Palm Beach Post, "Sen. McCain's most important attribute is his willingness to follow where his conscience leads him, even across the aisle. He worked with Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., to pass campaign-finance reform and collaborated with Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., on immigration." (Many conservatives don't trust McCain, however, precisely because of his willingness to go against conservative principles.) The Orlando Sentinel hailed McCain's "maverick's record of taking on GOP leaders and special interests," saying it "shows he can be the agent of change for which many voters are clamoring." And the Gainesville Sun described McCain as a "Republican maverick who has never marched in lockstep with his party." He's his "own man," the newspaper said, adding that it most admires McCain "for his principled stand on immigration reform." McCain, fresh off his win in the South Carolina primary, is now campaigning in Florida, the state on which Republican Rudy Giuliani has pinned his hopes. "I am aware that for the last 28 years, the winner of the South Carolina primary has been the nominee of our party," McCain said after winning the South Carolina primary. "We have a ways to go, of course. There are some tough contests ahead, starting tomorrow in the state of Florida. But, my friends, we are well on our way tonight (Saturday). And I feel very good about our chances."

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewFlash.asp?Pa ... 0121m.html