Like Tree3Likes

Thread: McConnell: ‘Bust up’ immigration bill

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

McConnell: ‘Bust up’ immigration bill

By Alexander Bolton - 12/02/14 10:05 AM EST

Incoming Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) says the Senate should break up comprehensive immigration reform legislation and vote on it piecemeal in the next Congress.

McConnell said the Senate should “bust up” the omnibus immigration reform measure crafted last year by the bipartisan Gang of Eight and vote on its components separately.

He would vote first on legislation to strengthen border security.

“What I think we ought to do is bust it up, pass as much of it as we can, starting with border security, which is a way of reassuring the American people that we’re not going to have another calamity like we’ve had,” McConnell said at an event Tuesday sponsored by The Wall Street Journal CEO Council.

“I would bust it up if I were setting the agenda in the Senate, start with border security, H-1B visa expansion, H-2A ag worker provisions, E–Verify and some of the other things I think we can get pretty broad agreement on,” he said.

McConnell said he would allow a full debate on the Senate floor and give colleagues the opportunity to offer amendments.

But he declined to guarantee that Republicans would back controversial provisions that rank among the highest priorities for Democrats, such as granting illegal immigrants a pathway to citizenship.

“I don’t know what the fate of the provision that Senate Democrats are interested in would be,” he said.

He said his plan would “put on the president’s desk whatever we can get to him that improves the legal immigration system and, particularly, strengthens the border, which we have not yet done.”

E-Verify is an electronic employment-verification system used by the federal government to make sure employees are U.S. citizens. Backers have suggested its use be expanded to the private sector.

The H1-B visa program allows employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty positions. Tech companies have been looking for changes to the program that would lead to more visas.

The H-2A program is specific to agricultural workers.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/2...migration-bill
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He said his plan would “put on the president’s desk whatever we can get to him that improves the legal immigration system and, particularly, strengthens the border, which we have not yet done.”
    The only thing wrong with our legal immigration system besides the federal government's refusal to enforce the law is that there are too many people admitted to the US under our legal immigration system. Over 800,000 foreign student visas when Americans can't get a seat even when they're qualified and eligible for it? Over 1.3 million green cards and work visas issued every year to come work in the US and steal American jobs and deflate American wages?!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Mitch McConnell is nothing but a shill for the US Chamber of Commerce and Obama's facilitator and he needs to be removed from his leadership position by the 2/3 GOP Senators that did not vote for the amnesty bill S. 744 that we stopped from becoming law!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC View Post
    Mitch McConnell is nothing but a shill for the US Chamber of Commerce and Obama's facilitator and he needs to be removed from his leadership position by the 2/3 GOP Senators that did not vote for the amnesty bill S. 744 that we stopped from becoming law!

W
    Absolutely!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Leadership has powers of persuasion, such as f you want your bill to see the light of day, help me on this. With McConnell and Boehner both having leadership positions they do not even have to be the boogieman of their part of Congress, if they et newbies pass legislation, the other house leader can file it in a drawer, Reid taught that well.

I've seen no evidence yet that this most recent election has done anything to improve the border/alien situation. I'm listening for evidence if anyone can show me improvement.