The official name is "Illegal Immigrant Interdiction" but they're not really immigrants. This is the second one of these I've worked on and the first one where we were able to find some illegals. The brief story and pictures are here. I can hear the response now - "You only arrested 26 illegals, and you're the only Sheriff's Office in the State who's doing this. Do you really think you're making a difference?" To which I reply with the following:

A wise man was taking a sunrise walk on the beach. In the distance he caught sight of a little girl who seemed to be dancing along the waves. As he got closer, he saw the little girl was picking up starfish from the sand and tossing them gently back into the ocean. "What are you doing?" the wise man asked. "The sun is coming up and the tide is going out; if I don't throw them in, they'll die." "But little girl, there are miles and miles of beach with starfish all along it; you can't possibly make a difference." The little girl bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it lovingly back into the ocean, past the breaking waves. "It made a difference for that one," she replied.

Imagine what it would be like if thousands of people came to the beach and each one rescued a few starfish. Now imagine what it would be like if thousands of police agencies began arresting the coyotes and their cargo. Together, we could start to make a difference. But the country needs that first little girl to take the action to show everyone else the way.

If anyone in Maricopa County (Arizona) is interested in joining the Posse, you can see the requirements here and read a little about the training here. There's an email link on this page where you can volunteer to join, and a discussion group here where you can ask questions of current Posse members. If you've ever worked with law enforcement before you'll know how interesting and rewarding it can be. It's also a lot of fun.[/i]