Jenkins hopes run for delegate will help promote immigration reform

Commissioner consulted with sheriff about running for Weldon's seat in 2010
by Sherry Greenfield | Staff Writer

Frederick County Commissioner Charles A. Jenkins announced Tuesday that he is running for state delegate in 2010. The announcement was no surprise to at least one local official.

Frederick County Sheriff Chuck Jenkins (R) said he had been in talks with the Republican commissioner for some time about the idea.

"We've worked very well together and very effectively," the sheriff said. "He has been a voice of reason and I wish him the best of luck."

During the last few years, both the commissioner and sheriff have shared more than a last name and party affiliation. Both have also publically supported each other's attempts to combat illegal immigration in the county.

The sheriff has brought the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement program known as 287g to Frederick County, which enables deputies to check the immigration status of the people they arrest.

Jenkins was the only commissioner to attend the sheriff's press conference announcing the program.

The commissioner garnered media attention in 2007 when he attempted — but failed — to require all agencies, nonprofits and schools that receive county funding to verify that the people they help are in the country legally.

Commissioner Jenkins continued his fight last year, when he proposed that English be the official language in Frederick County. His commissioner colleagues instead passed a resolution proclaiming English as the official and primary language.

Both commissioner and sheriff, along with Commissioner John "Lennie" Thompson Jr. (R), recently joined forces to send a letter to the eight members of the Frederick delegation asking them to introduce a proposal requiring public schools to count students who are in the country illegally. None has so far responded.

If elected to represent District 3B, a seat Del. Richard B. Weldon Jr. (R) says he will vacate, Commissioner Jenkins said he plans to continue his immigration reform measures on the state level.

"In Annapolis, I will continue to raise the voice of the silent majority who do not want to see Maryland continue its sanctuary state polices," Jenkins said on his new campaign Web site (www.Charles2010.com).

Jenkins said Tuesday his reason for leaving the Board of County Commissioners after only one term is not a result of his failure to pass immigration reform on the local level. Jenkins insists he is not "frustrated" with his lack of success as a county commissioner.

"I absolutely have never enjoyed a job more," he said. "This has been a very difficult decision for me."

Jenkins insisted that if Weldon, who enjoys popular support in the county and in the Maryland General Assembly, hadn't decided to vacate the seat, he would not have run.

Jenkins was elected commissioner in 2006. He ran for office promising to be the "roads commissioner," who would work to ease traffic congestion.

Shortly after taking office, Jenkins organized the I-270 Transportation Summit. He was also recently elected chairman of the Transportation Planning Board, a regional board that looks for ways to ease traffic in the metropolitan area.

Only one other person — Michael Hough of Brunswick — has filed to run for Weldon's seat.

Hough is the former chairman of the Frederick County Republican Central Committee, and previously served as the legislative aide to Maryland Sen. Alexander X. Mooney (R-Dist. 3) of Urbana.

E-mail Sherry Greenfield at sgreenfield@gazette.net.

Copyright © 2009 Post-Newsweek Media, Inc./Gazette.Net

http://www.gazette.net/stories/01082009 ... 2471.shtml