Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MD May Offer In-State Tuition at Public Schools for Illegal

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,247259,00.html

Maryland May Offer In-State Tuition at Public Schools for Illegal Immigrants

Friday , January 26, 2007

By Jonathan N. Crawford

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — With a new governor in power who has pledged support for inclusive immigration policies, Maryland may join 10 other states in allowing illegal immigrants to qualify for in-state tuition rates at the state's public colleges.

Illegal immigrants who attend Maryland high schools for a minimum of two years could benefit as early as this fall if legislation is passed that would have the effect of reducing by more than half the out-of-state tuition they currently must pay. Cost savings for each student would total more than $8,000 per year. The bill would also require undocumented immigrants to seek permanent residency status.

Democratic Delegate Victor R. Ramirez, the bill's primary sponsor, said immigrants should be given a chance to succeed.

"The least we can do, if we're allowing people to cut our yards, wash our cars, clean our houses for probably very cheap wages, the least you can do is let their children have an opportunity — that's the American way," he said.

But Delegate Richard K. Impallaria, a Republican critic of the bill, said it was "the height of arrogance" for people in the country illegally to think they should be entitled to in-state tuition.

"The fact that they're going to school here without any repercussions should be good enough for them," he said.

In Texas, which instituted a similar bill in the fall of 2001, in-state tuition forms at public universities don't require proof of citizenship or legal residency as is currently required in Maryland.

A bill similar to Ramirez's was vetoed by then-Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. in 2003. But Ramirez believes the bill will again pass the General Assembly and this time, with a Democratic governor in office, be signed into law.

Ramirez said that Gov. Martin O'Malley told him he is familiar with the concept of his bill.

"He (O'Malley) said he's inclined to sign it. So we feel optimistic that if we can get it to his desk that he'll sign it into law," said Ramirez.

According to O'Malley spokesman Sasha Leonhardt, the governor supports expanded opportunities for immigrants but wants to see the final version of legislation before deciding whether to sign it.

Ramirez said providing illegal immigrants more affordable education would pay dividends.

"We're the ones who are going to benefit because ultimately they're going to give back to society and become doctors, lawyers, scientists," he said.

Impallaria, on the other hand, said illegal immigrants would put an added financial strain on schools, drive up tuition costs and reduce the number of available slots at public schools for legal residents.

"You're rewarding people for breaking the law. And what they should be doing is going to the immigration people, paying the higher tuition and saying, 'look, I want to be an American citizen.' That should be priority one," he said.

While the population of illegal immigrants in Maryland was last estimated to be around 250,000 in 2005, according to the Pew Hispanic Center, it's unclear how many illegal immigrants would take advantage of this new bill if it passes.

Ramirez estimates that only a few hundred immigrants would seek in-state tuition. He added that most illegal immigrants wouldn't be able to afford college without federal financial aid, and that most of those who would benefit would be the top academic achievers who came to the country at an early age.

According to Josh Bernstein, of the National Immigration Law Center, a similar bill, called the DREAM Act, is expected to be introduced on the federal level that would give illegal immigrants attending college a path toward citizenship.

Ramirez, who was born in El Salvador and obtained his U.S. citizenship when he was 17, said he was fortunate that he didn't have the financial hurdles that undocumented immigrants face.

"I thank God I never had to experience anything like that. When my family came here, we were legal, as they want to say. But I know that that's not the case for a lot of people."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Cost savings for each student would total more than $8,000 per year. The bill would also require undocumented immigrants to seek permanent residency status.

Democratic Delegate Victor R. Ramirez, the bill's primary sponsor, said immigrants should be given a chance to succeed.

"The least we can do, if we're allowing people to cut our yards, wash our cars, clean our houses for probably very cheap wages, the least you can do is let their children have an opportunity — that's the American way," he said.
    If they really were interested in increasing their chances of succeeding, they should make the students promise to go home after their education, where they can make something of themselves and create more opportunities for their families and people. Otherwise, they're just helping themselves to the fruits of others.
    The American Conservative

Bail out families, not usurers and speculators.

Never mind that it's against Federal Law! When law is on your side....scream for ENFORCEMENT! When it's against you.....IGNORE it!

Ramirez huh, well people I guess you had better start taking a good look at the last name of the canidates, because the Hispanic ones don't seem to care how much illegals are costing Americans, they are eating us alive with all of these do gooders. Just how much do they think we can take. STOP ALREADY- ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. If we are going to do this I have seen many citizens who cannot afford to go to college and thats where I want my tax money going.
    Come on Maryland do not let them get away with this it is bull___!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

I'm sorry to say this..... where are the Hispanic politicians who speak out against illegals? Everytime I see a Hispanic politician, they are always pro-illegal. Is there more than one or two who are putting American citizens before their raza?

Quote Originally Posted by noyoucannot
    I'm sorry to say this..... where are the Hispanic politicians who speak out against illegals? Everytime I see a Hispanic politician, they are always pro-illegal. Is there more than one or two who are putting American citizens before their raza?
    I believe there are zip!! I guess that tells you what comes first to them Hispanic's then country!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

http://somd.com/news/headlines/2007/5438.shtml

Bill Proposes to Extend In-state Tuition to Illegal Immigrants
    Posted on February 20, 2007:
    By TAYA FLORES, Capital News Service

ANNAPOLIS - Immigrant advocates and high school students went before a House committee Tuesday to describe how illegal immigrants who live in Maryland are unable to go to college here because they are not allowed the lower tuition rates available to in-state students.

Undocumented immigrants are considered nonresidents of the state for tuition purposes because of their inability to establish legal residency.

"We're talking about children," Delegate Victor Ramirez, D-Prince George's County, sponsor of a bill to allow illegal immigrants to pay the in-state tuition at public colleges and universities. "It's not their fault and you shouldn't punish them. We should try to assimilate them to mainstream society and education is the way to do that."

If enacted the bill would change the requirements needed to obtain in-state-tuition rates. Prospective students would not have to provide a social security number but they would have to show that they attended a public or private high school in Maryland for at least two years and received a high school diploma or its equivalent within the state.

The applicants also have to prove that they are trying to obtain permanent residency status, which is the first step to becoming a legal citizen for foreign born residents.

Similar legislation passed the General Assembly in 2003 but was vetoed by then-Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich. The bill is considered to have a good chance of passing once again, but not without controversy.

This very issue sent Sen. Roy P. Dyson (D-29) and Delegate John Bohanan (D-29B) scurrying for cover during the 2006 election when Republicans sent out mass mailings to voters pointing out both politician's record of having voted in favor of similar bills in the past. Despite the employment of this wedge issue, both men comfortably defeated their Republican challengers.

Delegate Nancy King, D-Montgomery County, a member of the House Ways and Means Committee, which heard the bill, said she was sold on the legislation.

"I supported this bill last time and I'm supporting it this time," King said.

The stories that witnesses before the committee told seemed to move Delegate Ron George, R-Anne Arundel County, as well.

"I am a grandson of immigrants from Italy and I know the struggle they went through," he said. "I have it deep in my heart for how hard immigrants work when they come here."

Still, he asked if allowing illegal immigrants spots in colleges would turn away students who are legal - a line of questioning that brought criticism from other delegates.

Delegate Craig Rice, D-Montgomery County, said that George's question resembled the historical argument for not allowing blacks or women to attend colleges.

The bill would make it easier for all students who have attended and graduated from a state high school to pay cheaper in-state tuition rates at Maryland public colleges and universities regardless of their residency status.

Tuition for out-of-state students at the University of Maryland College Park is three times that for in-state students. The University of Maryland's in-state tuition rate is $7,969 and out-of-state tuition is $22,208. But, Ramirez said that this bill will most likely affect enrollment at community colleges where the illegal immigrants are most likely to attend. At Montgomery College in-state tuition is $3,708 and out-of-state is $9,612 per year.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn