Only posting part of the Q&A so to read the entire article please click on the source link.

Note: ALIPAC has endorsed Roscoe Barlett
~~~

October 23, 2010

U.S. House of Representatives 6th District Q&A

Editor’s note: The Herald-Mail asked the candidates running for the U.S. House of Representatives in the 6th Congressional District in the Nov. 2 general election to respond to five questions. The candidates were asked to limit each response to 100 words. Their responses follow. They are unedited, except when necessary for length or clarity.

Question: How would you try to improve the economy?

Andrew Duck, 47

Address: 216 N. Delaware Ave,

Brunswick

stockbroker with Merrill Lynch

in Frederick. Currently chief of

futures and studies, Army

Intelligence Campaign Initiatives

Group for the Army G-2.

Party affiliation: Democrat

We must take several actions: Restore stable and fair financial markets. Reenact Glass-Stegal Act to restore the division between banks, brokers, insurers, and hedge funds; Reduce our trade deficit by enforcing trade regulations. Require China to float their currency in the open market, otherwise revoke their Most Favored Nation trade status; Hold accountable those who caused the collapse, to ensure it does not reoccur; Invest in research and development to take advantage of new technologies, which become the building blocks for 21st century jobs; Balance the federal budget.

Roscoe G. Bartlett (i), 84

Address: 4317 Buckeystown Pike,

Frederick

developer

Party affiliation: Republican

I will continue to support policies that encourage the private sector to expand and to create jobs. Americans face higher taxes in January unless Congress acts. I support extending current rates. I oppose the Obama/Pelosi position to raise taxes on half of small business income. I oppose big government programs such as the new health care law that will burden businesses with more red tape and will not deliver the promised heath care benefits. I oppose continuing out of control government spending increases and deficits, higher taxes, and more regulation which cause our private sector to shrink not expand.

Michael Reed, 38

Address: 1906 Crossing Stone Court,

Frederick

Law Firm; has title company,

Associate Settlements,

in Gaithersburg, Md.

Party affiliation: Constitution Party

I would favor a Constitutional amendment requiring that the Federal budget to be balanced. I would favor the consolidation of United States military base personnel and equipment throughout the world and re-locate them into the United States. I would vote no for any private company bailout. I would vote no for any government takeover of private enterprise. I would vote to repeal. I would vote no for a blank check given to the President for any military authorization or spending without a war being declared.

Dan Massey, 39

Address: 17026 Virginia Ave.,

near Williamsport

manager of Massey Auto Group

in Hagerstown

Party affiliation: Libertarian

As a proponent of Austrian School of Economics, I firmly believe that government cannot create wealth. It can only move wealth from one area to another. It is not a matter of what the government can do but what the government does not do that determines growth. Economic growth comes from Economic freedom. Economic freedom is freedom from undue regulation, taxes and monetary policy. It is time to stop the practice of socializing risk and privatizing reward. Bailing out Union Pensions, Auto Companies and Banks only socialized risk and allows them to privatize the reward by keeping their profits.

Question: What should Congress do about illegal immigration?

Duck: We must enforce existing laws against illegal immigration. Illegal immigrants are coming here because employers provide the magnet by offering them jobs. Current law allows fines of $1,000 per employee per inspection, which can be conducted daily. If laws are not being enforced, passing new laws will not work. Our current Congressman is trying to distract attention from enforcing the existing law, talking about passing additional laws, building a huge fence or changing our Constitution. These are simply distractions, to make you forget that the current Congress has failed to ensure the law is properly enforced.

Bartlett: We all should be proud that America is the most welcoming nation in the world but we need to enforce our existing immigration laws and improve protection of our borders. I am a member of the Congressional Immigration Reform Caucus which seeks solutions to reduce illegal immigration and support legal immigration. I am opposed to amnesty because rewarding illegal immigration will only encourage more illegal immigration. An illegal immigrant who crosses our border or overstays a VISA to find a job could just as easily be a sleeper terrorist intent on harming us.

Reed: As Congress has already passed illegal immigration laws, the Executive Branch should see to it that these laws are enforced — not selectively and not sporadically, but on a consistent basis. I would introduce Congressional resolution Arizona’s SB 1070, appears to have been passed based on a concern that the Federal Government was not enforcing existing federal immigration laws.

Massey: To resolve illegal immigration I would remove all visa quotas. This is NOT amnesty as anyone who wants to be in the US must go home and come back legally. As with any commodity if there is a demand and the supply is kept artificially low (by government intervention) then a black market develops to get around the laws and meet demand. “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.â€