Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ME:Suspected Illegal Workers Flee into Woods

Workers flee into woods during police truck stop

By David Hench Portland Press Herald Staff Writer
    November 03, 2008 03:15 PM

A dozen people fled into the woods this afternoon during a commercial vehicle enforcement check after State Police called in Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents because some of them appeared to be in this country illegally.

However, the supervisor of the State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Unit in southern Maine decided to recall his troopers from the search once he learned ICE probably would not detain most of the men. Sgt. Stephen Ashcroft said that for safety reasons he did not want his troopers searching through the woods during hunting season if most of the men they sought were going to be released anyway.

The unit was conducting an enforcement check at the Kittery weigh station when they identified a line of Asplundh tree maintenance vehicles with apparent violations. Checking the 13 trucks, they determined that about 10 of the 28 workers being transported in the Chicago-based trucks, bound for utility line maintenance in the Augusta area, appeared to be in the country without permission, Ashcroft said. One of them had a warrant for deportation, he said.

While waiting for ICE agents to arrive, between nine and 12 people, mostly those who appeared to be in the country illegally, ran into the woods, Ashcroft said.

Ashcroft could not say whether ICE would seek to impose any sanctions on Asplundh.

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/035174.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Since my state is the center of the West Coast nursery industry why don't they check around here?
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As a little squirt living in New Hampshire, my parents told me years later that most of the farmers there would take red paint and put the word COW on every one in their herd to keep them from getting shot. Apparently tourist hunters would shoot anything that moved, so I don't blame this guy for pulling back his men.

If fleeing the sceen makes you exempt from the law or your responsibility on things......we should have a good Olympic track team very soon.