Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Meek joins rally in support of immigration bill

Posted on Monday, 09.20.10

Meek joins rally in support of immigration bill

BY MELISSA SANCHEZ
    msanchez@elnuevoherald.com

Rep. Kendrick Meek, who is running for the Senate as a Democrat, joined about 100 students and others Monday at Miami Dade College to support passage of a bill this week in Congress that would allow tens of thousands of young illegal immigrants to become legalized residents.

Ralliers urged Florida Republican Sen. George LeMieux to vote in favor of the legislation, the DREAM Act, which would legalize those who entered the country as minors and are pursuing a college degree or serving in the military.

``It's important that we work very hard to make sure that we reach those that need to be reached at this time and have them do what they should do to represent this state and this country,'' said Meek. ``That's to vote to make sure the DREAM Act becomes a reality and becomes part of the defense authorization act.''

Last week, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid announced he'd include the DREAM (for Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors) Act as an amendment to the Department of Defense Authorization Bill.

Chances look slim for the bill, which needs 60 votes to move forward and already includes controversial provisions such as a repeal of the military's ``Don't Ask, Don't Tell'' policy.

LeMieux, who was handpicked last fall by Gov. Charlie Crist to replace retiring Sen. Mel Martinez, has said he's reserving judgment until he sees the language of Reid's amendment. Florida Sen. Bill Nelson supports it, as did Martinez.

More than 700,000 students who live illegally in the U.S. could be eligible for green cards under the DREAM Act, experts say.

Among them: Vanessa Jaramillo, a 20-year-old from Colombia. She told her story during Monday's rally.

Jaramillo was brought to the United States as a toddler on a tourist visa with her mother, an attorney who wanted a break from an abusive marriage. But because the situation back home was unstable, they overstayed their visa and never left Miami. Her mother, who also attended the rally, now works as a maid.

``I didn't know when I was little that it would be a problem that I'd grow up without papers. But it wasn't my fault,'' Jaramillo said. ``I feel like every single time that I walk in the door and they tell me, `You have a social security [card]?' And I say, `no,' it's like they're pushing me back from realizing my dreams.''

In the Senate race, Meek and Crist, who's running as an independent, have voiced their support for the Dream Act. Republican candidate Marco Rubio said he opposes the legislation.

During a debate last week on Univision, the Spanish-language network, Rubio said he disagreed with the act's inclusion in the defense appropriation bill, but said he might be in support of limited benefits to certain undocumented immigrant students.

During Monday's rally, Miami Dade College provost Rolando Montoya said only a minority of students who were brought to the United States illegally as children are able to pursue vcollege degrees.

``They have a big surprise when they arrive to Miami Dade College and they realize they are not eligible for federal or state financial aid and have to pay tuition or fees at a rate four times more than other students,'' Montoya said. ``It is unfair and a waste of resources.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/09/20/1 ... rt-of.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

``They have a big surprise when they arrive to Miami Dade College and they realize they are not eligible for federal or state financial aid and have to pay tuition or fees at a rate four times more than other students,'' Montoya said. ``It is unfair and a waste of resources.''
    A lot of kids have to pay out of state tuition, they are not special.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

LeMieux, who was handpicked last fall by Gov. Charlie Crist to replace retiring Sen. Mel Martinez, has said he's reserving judgment until he sees the language of Reid's amendment.
    Please make sure you include Sen. LeMieux in your calls. His number: 202- 224-3041.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)