Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Memo to the media from La Raza

I just received this in an e-mail from La Voz de Aztlan. I do not have a link unless this is posted on their website or La Raza's website:

Memo to the media from La Raza

by
    Janet Murguia
    President, NCLR
    February 6, 2008

"JANET is a lying, fact-misrepresenting Mexican jerk. There will come a
    day when the average American has had enough of her and her lies and
    runs her back to Mexico with the rest of the diseased, ignorant,
    budget-ruining, crime-causing scum they are."

Since I became head of the National Council of La Raza three years ago, I have received hate mail. My predecessor got it as well.

Typically, we shrug it off as coming with the territory. When people tell me to "go back to where you came from," I joke that they would be surprised to find they are sending me back home to Kansas.

It is no longer a joke. I received that e-mail above at the height of the immigration debate and have received many more, including death threats. So have many members of my staff. The immigration debate has opened the floodgates to hate speech in this country of ours. Hate and extremists are defining the debate on immigration.

Hate is part of our national legacy. Throughout U.S. history, American Indians, blacks, Irish immigrants and other groups have suffered from injustice stemming from hate. The immigration debate has made the Hispanic community hate's latest target, and too often, the news media serve as the anti-immigrant bullhorn.

The Internet, television and the political stage have become platforms for hate. Turning the term "illegal" into a noun, nativists, extremists and politicians have broadcast their messages across the country. They demonize
    the undocumented and, in turn, all Latinos. They depict us as disease-ridden invaders and criminals.

The media have been instrumental in moving this language from the fringes of society right into our living rooms and everyday lives.

Dan Stein, president of FAIR, the Federation for American Immigration Reform, has warned that immigrant groups are engaged in "competitive breeding" aimed at eliminating white power. He has appeared on MSNBC at least eight times and on CNN at least 18 times. The Southern Poverty Law Center has labeled FAIR a hate group.

Television-talk-show hosts like CNN's Lou Dobbs have echoed the anti-immigrant hate speech, calling undocumented immigrants "criminals" and an "army of invaders." Glenn Beck, a CNN commentator, jokingly read an ad that said the one-step solution to the immigration and energy crises is a "giant refinery" that produces "Mexinol," a fuel made from the bodies of illegal immigrants coming here from Mexico.

The news media are not the only ones willing to work with anti-immigrant extremists; some politicians do, too. Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee accepted the endorsement of Minuteman Project founder Jim Gilchrist, a man who proclaimed he is "proud to be a vigilante."

The distorted images projected by the media and some politicians have had dangerous consequences. All Latinos become targets for anti-immigrant hate crimes and speech because it is impossible to look at us and determine who is a citizen and who is not.

According to the FBI, anti-Latino hate crimes have increased by 23 percent over the past two years.

The reality is that most immigrants, undocumented and documented, are hardworking and family-oriented - they are a part of our national fabric. Many hold down multiple jobs to provide for their families. The undocumented would choose to be here legally if they could, but the immigration system is broken. For people wanting to come here, there is a 20-year backlog to legal entry.

The only way to combat hate is to confront it with something just as strong, just as pervasive in society - hope. The hope for a better future for all U.S. residents is the driving force behind National Council of La Raza efforts to unite with others to silence hate speech and stop hate crimes.

Last month, I experienced the power of hope firsthand. I was honored to be the first Hispanic keynote speaker at the annual Martin Luther King Jr. unity breakfast in Birmingham, Ala. I urged blacks and Latinos to renew both communities' historic commitment to promoting equal opportunity for all of us. Unity among all communities will strengthen our resolve to remove hate from the mainstream.

Anti-immigrant groups are using every medium to spread their message of hate. We must be just as persistent with our message of hope. The National Council of La Raza has launched a Web site as part of our Wave of Hope campaign. We have also written letters to politicians and network executives insisting that they eliminate hate from the immigration debate on their news programs.

Hope is more than just wishing for improvement. It is an expectation backed by action. The media have a responsibility not to amplify the voice of hate. The rest of us have a responsibility to challenge those seeking office to renounce the politics of hate and to distance themselves from those known to be affiliated with hate groups or vigilantes. Together, we can ensure that hope triumphs.

opi@nclr.org

__________________________________________________ ____
    Janet Murguia is president and CEO of the National Council of La Raza, the nation's largest Hispanic advocacy and civil-rights organization.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    This is actually quite old and has been around for a while

But a good reminder

"JANET is a lying, fact-misrepresenting Mexican jerk. There will come a
    day when the average American has had enough of her and her lies and
    runs her back to Mexico with the rest of the diseased, ignorant,
    budget-ruining, crime-causing scum they are."
    I've received much worse hate posted directly at me in respose to comments I've made on various boards and websites in the past form the OBL's and IA huggers. I'm sure many of you have experienced the same. I'm sure William and Lou Dobbs have received much, much worse. Now she's on a national campaign crying like Hillary. Somehow, I just don't feel sorry for you, Janet. You reap what you sow.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    I think Janet Murguia is losing it. Janet, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

U.S.A.- for legal citizens, not illegals!

Re: Memo to the media from La Raza

Throughout U.S. history, American Indians, blacks, Irish immigrants and other groups have suffered from injustice stemming from hate.
    She forgot to mention the injustice Americans suffer on a daily basis because of the illegals.
    The National Council of LaRaza is the largest*hate group.

50,000 americans killed by illegals since 911 is all the reason I need to insist on law being inforced.The law in its current form says to deport them.One or 100 million it is the duty to enforce THAT LAW OR RESIGN.

Here is a little reminder for little miss Reconquista

ILLEGAL ALIEN "CONTRIBUTIONS" TO THE U.S.
    2006 (First Quarter) INS/FBI Statistical Report on Undocumented Immigrants

CRIME
    95 % of Warrants in LOS ANGELES are for ILLEGAL ALIENS
    83 % of Warrants for MURDER in Phoenix Arizona are FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS
    86 % of Warrants for MURDER in Albuquerque New Mexico are for ILLEGAL ALIENS
    75 % of those on the most wanted list in Los Angeles, Phoenix, Albuquerque are ILLEGAL ALIENS
    24.9 % OF ALL INMATES in California detention centers are Mexican Nationals here ILLEGALLY
    40.1 % of all inmates in Arizona detention centers are Mexican Nationals here ILLEGALLY
    29 % (630,000) Convicted ILLEGAL ALIENS felons fill our state and federal prisons at the cost of $1.5
    Billion Annually
    53 % Plus of all investigated burglaries reported in California, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and Texas
    are perpetrated by ILLEGAL ALIENS
    50 % Plus of all gang members in Los Angeles are ILLEGAL ALIENS
    71 % Plus of all apprehended Cars stolen in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and California were
    stolen by ILLEGAL ALIENS or "Transport Coyotes "
    47 % of cited / stopped Drivers in California have NO License, NO Insurance, and NO Registration for the
    vehicle of that 47 %, over 92 % were ILLEGAL ALIENS
    63 % of cited / stopped Drivers in Arizona have NO License, NO Insurance, and NO Registration for the
    vehicle of that 63 %, over 97 % are ILLEGAL ALIENS
    66 % of cited / stopped Drivers in New Mexico have NO License, NO Insurance, and NO Registration for
    the vehicle Of that 66 %, over 98 % were ILLEGAL ALIENS

BIRTHS
    380,000 Plus "ANCHOR BABIES" were born in the U.S. in 2005 to ILLEGAL ALIEN PARENTS, making 380,000 babies automatically U.S. Citizens 97.2% of all costs incurred from those births were paid for by American taxpayers.
    66 % OF all births in California are to illegal alien Mexicans on Medi-Cal whose births were paid by taxpayers

HOUSING
    300,000 plus illegal aliens in Los Angeles Country are living in garages
    Nearly 60 % of all occupants of HUD properties in the United States are illegal aliens.

TV & RADIO STATIONS
    14 out of 31 TV stations in L.C. are Spanish only 16 out of 28 TV stations in Phoenix are Spanish only
    15 out of 24 TV stations in Albuquerque are Spanish only 21 radio stations in Los Angeles are Spanish only
    17 radio stations in Los Angeles are Spanish only 17 radio stations in Albuquerque are Spanish only

SCHOOLS
    34% plus of Arizona students in grades 1-12 are illegal aliens and 24% plus are non-English speaking
    39% plus of California students in grades 1-12 are illegal aliens and 42% plus are non-English speaking
    In Los Angeles County, 5.1 million people speak English - 3.9 million speak Spanish

SOCIAL SERVICES
    43 % of all Food Stamps issued are to illegal aliens
    41 % of all Unemployment Checks in the United States are to illegal aliens
    58 % of all Welfare payments in the United States are issued to illegal aliens
    Less than 2 % of illegal aliens are picking crops but 41 % are on welfare

POPULATION
    Over 70% of the U.S. annual population growth (and over 90% of CA, FL, and NY) results from immigration

EMPLOYER PROFITS
    The estimated profit to U.S. corporations and businesses employing illegal aliens in 2005 was more than 2.36 trillion

TAXES
    62 % of all "undocumented immigrants" in the U.S. are working for cash and not paying taxes, predominantly illegal aliens are working without a green card
    The cost of immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 (last known calculation by Professor Donald Huddle, Rice University) was a NET (after subtracting taxes immigrants pay), $70 Billion per year. [What are the 2006 costs?]
    The lifetime fiscal impact (taxes paid minus services used) for the average illegal alien is $55,000 cost to the American taxpayer in a 5-year span. You personally pay $11,000 every year to illegal aliens.
    JOBS (per Center for Immigration Studies - September 2006): Between 2000 and 2005, 4.1 million immigrant workers arrived in the U.S., accounting for 86% of the net increase in the total number of employed persons (16 & older), the highest share ever recorded in the U.S. Of the 4.1 million, between 1.4 and 2.7 million are estimated to be illegal aliens. Also, between 2000 and 2005, the number of young (16 to 34) native-born men employed declined by 1.7 million - at the same time, the number of new male immigrant workers increased by 1.9 million

Will someone tell this bonehead that we do not have a message of hate, but a message of laws? But we do hate illegal aliens breaking our laws.
    <div>&ldquo;There is no longer any Left or Right, there is only Tyranny or Liberty &rdquo;</div>

Well said bulldogger.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Thanks for the stats BullDogger--sending them out e-mail.

Pro-amnesty politicians are using U.S. citizenship as the currency to buy votes.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast