Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Merchants say day labor center could draw crime

Business
    Merchants say day labor center could draw crime

By Jennie Rodriguez
    July 25, 2007
    Record Staff Writer
    STOCKTON - A group of South Stockton merchants is opposed to city plans to erect a day labor center at El Dorado and Clay streets.

Safety is the main issue, according to Mark Stebbins, president of the South Stockton Merchants Association. He believes that drug dealers and transients will follow the workers from Gateway Plaza to South Stockton, posing dangers to children walking to school.

"The problem is the people, who aren't necessarily day laborers, but hang around them and see the laborers as a cover for activities like drug sales, alcohol, gambling - all the things that seem to be attracted to the area where they currently are," Stebbins said.

Also, the group is concerned about increasing traffic and a possible negative impact on area businesses. Stebbins is owner of Women's Realty on Center Street, which provides real estate services, U-Haul rentals, notary public services and accounting.

Miguel Gonzales, a member of La Comite de Jornaleros (The Committee of Day Laborers), thinks local shops will actually benefit from the workers. "We could buy sodas and lunch from El Dorado Market," said Gonzales, 35, in Spanish.

"Right now, the majority of the workers don't spend money in Gateway Plaza because they complain about us."

The preliminary day laborer center plans haven't made it to city council yet, but initial opposition is expected of any project, said Stockton Police Lt. Dennis Smallie, who oversees special projects for the city manager and mayor.

Smallie said the city has been in discussions with Stockton Unified School District to address the district's concerns about its nearby Edison High and Hazelton Elementary schools.

"Anything that will attract a lot of adults, we're going to pay attention to," said Dianne Barth, the school district spokeswoman.

Gonzales said workers aren't looking for trouble.

"My nephews and my daughter are dependent of me in Honduras. Do you think I'm going to sever my daughter's dream of graduating college by getting into trouble?" Gonzales asked.

Measures for safety have been sketched into the proposed center, according to officials. Those measures include increased surveillance, patrolling, a day laborer registration system with identification cards and fencing.

"The center isn't just going to be a little shack with two or three drunks sitting down," said Luis Magana, an activist who helped organize the project, in Spanish.

And at least one member, Mayra Cuevas of the South Stockton Merchants Association, isn't opposed to such a center.

"I think we need something like that, as long as we have the adequate training, staff and security, like the city says we'll have," said Cuevas, owner of Cuevas Insurance/Tax Express on Charter Way.

"Nobody wants problems in their business, but if it's managed properly, I don't see a problem," Cuevas said.

The day laborer relocation project started last year after property owners of Gateway Plaza and Mariani's Store, where workers congregated, complained to police about loitering.

After an unsuccessful attempt to move workers to a pick-up zone at St. Mary's Interfaith Dining Hall, the city has been working on establishing a station that will feature benches, drinking water, a restroom and a kitchen.

Contact reporter Jennie Rodriguez at (209) 943-8564 or jrodriguez@recordnet.com.
    http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /707250301
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

the city has been working on establishing a station that will feature benches, drinking water, a restroom and a kitchen
    I guess they can just MOVE in with all the comforts of home paid for by the taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by gofer
    the city has been working on establishing a station that will feature benches, drinking water, a restroom and a kitchen
    I guess they can just MOVE in with all the comforts of home paid for by the taxpayers.
    Someone call Miller Brewery and have them put in a draft beer system
    the poor undocumented days workers get thirsty waiting to do work Americans will not do
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"My nephews and my daughter are dependent of me in Honduras. Do you think I'm going to sever my daughter's dream of graduating college by getting into trouble?" Gonzales asked.
    You did that, idiot, when you crossed the border illegally!!