Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Message from Representative Tom Davis

I have been seen messages to both senators and also my Representative. The House is looking at a similar bill as Senate 1348 so I send all my issues with the bill to both houses.

Dear Ms. Beckyal:

Thank you for contacting me regarding S. 1348, the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

My philosophy towards immigration can be summarized thusly: I favor a high wall and a wide gate. Without effective border control, immigration laws are useless. Our high wall would ensure that no one can enter our country unless they are properly identified, documented and approved for entry. Strong border security is essential in maintaining our nation's security and sovereignty. We are a nation of immigrants; however, and our wide gate would encourage those seeking the American Dream to come through our legal channels. Unlike the current immigration infrastructure, our wide gate would not be plagued by an inert bureaucracy, a prohibitive backlog of applications or any of the other deficiencies which encourage prospective immigrants to seek alternative, non-legal means of entry.

The lessons of the 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act should not be cast aside. Through this legislative experiment we clearly learned a blanket amnesty only serves to embolden the next generation of border jumpers. The amnesty provisions incorporated in the 1986 law provided legal status to 2.7 million aliens. Now, 21 years later, there are an estimated 12 million illegal aliens in our country. If we provide a blanket amnesty at this point, we will be granting amnesty for the next, bigger wave in 2027.

This comprehensive immigration deal is a measure I can not support. As the Senate continues to debate and the House begins its consideration, please be assured I will keep your comments foremost in my mind. Again thank you for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed of issues of importance to you.

Sincerely,

Tom Davis
    Member of Congress

My philosophy towards immigration can be summarized thusly: I favor a high wall and a wide gate.

I love this line!