Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexican drug link probed in ambush murder of Texas lawman

Mexican drug link probed in ambush murder of Texas lawman

SAN ANTONIO | Tue May 31, 2011 5:49pm EDT

SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - The death of a Bexar County sheriff's sergeant who died in a hail of gunfire as he sat in his patrol car is being investigated for a possible connection to Mexico's drug cartels, county officials said on Tuesday.

Sergeant Kenneth Vann was "targeted because he represented the government," Sheriff Amadeo Ortiz told Reuters.

Vann, 48, was in uniform, sitting in his marked patrol car at a corner on San Antonio's southeast side early Saturday when a small white car pulled up beside him, and somebody in the car fired an estimated 28 shots from an automatic weapon, possibly an AK-47 rifle, Ortiz said. No suspects are in custody.

"I think that they picked on a police officer because he was a symbol of authority," Ortiz said on Tuesday.

He said there is no evidence Vann's movements had been tracked that morning, indicating the 24-year law enforcement veteran was not likely targeted personally. Ortiz called it an attack "on a random law enforcement officer."

"The general public, I don't think, should have that much to fear," Ortiz said.

He said the FBI, along with the Texas Department of Public Safety and other law enforcement agencies are helping with the investigation.

Deputy Lou Antou said investigators are sorting through surveillance videos from two gas stations at the corner where the shooting took place.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/ ... RA20110531
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

RELATED

Texas Deputy Killed During Apparent Ambush

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-239452.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Texas sheriff: Deputy's killer looked for lawman

The Associated Press
    May 31, 2011, 6:59PM

SAN ANTONIO — The killer of a Texas sheriff's deputy apparently acted on the "spur of the moment" and was simply looking to take down a law enforcement officer, his sheriff said Tuesday.

Bexar County Sheriff Amadeo Ortiz said the death of Sgt. Kenneth Vann, 48, was being investigated as an apparently random act of violence against a peace officer.

Every theory was being considered in the deputy's death at a red light at a San Antonio intersection early Saturday, including that it could have been a Mexican drug cartel hit, Ortiz said. However, those responsible apparently did not target Vann individually but as a target of opportunity, Ortiz told the San Antonio Express-News.

"We know that nobody followed the officer. We have videos from places that he had been, so I think they just drove up on him," he said.

Ortiz said he does not believe the general public has anything to fear.

A multi-agency task force was rounding up people with outstanding warrants for questioning, he said.

"We are working day and night," he told the newspaper. "But unfortunately, we don't have any results to report as of today. It is very, very frustrating."

A statement issued by David Kilcrease, president of the Deputy Sheriff's Association of Bexar County, said the killing was comparable to a Mexican drug cartel hit in that it showed a "loss of respect within the criminal element, which had refrained from direct confrontations with law enforcement. We cannot allow this type of violence to enter our city, our county or our state."

A statement issued by the sheriff's office on Tuesday described the suspect vehicle as a royal blue crew-cab Ford F-150 pickup truck, model year 2009 or later.

Meanwhile, the reward fund has swelled to $127,000 for information leading to those responsible for Vann's death. Ortiz says the fund got a boost from donations of $50,000 by the FBI and $25,000 by San Antonio lawyer Wayne Wright.

Van was a 25-year veteran of law enforcement and was married to fellow Sheriff's Sgt. Yvonne Vann. He also was a Marine Corps veteran of Operation Desert Storm.

His funeral is scheduled for Friday.
    ___

Information from: San Antonio Express-News, http://www.mysanantonio.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/ ... z1Nz2xTgne
    NO AMNESTY

I'm just guessing but gang initiation my first thought.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

It can't be a Mexican drug cartel because that would mean Mexican violence has spilled across the border. Janet Napolitano has told us repeatedly that the border is more secure than it has ever been. I also think she has told us that Mexican violence is not spilling over into our country.

Nope, can't be a Mexican drug cartel because Janet has willed it so!

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    It still doesn't sound like the police know anymore than they did after the first hour of it happening (other than they don't think the deputy was being followed). They are just investigating their theories now, which is understandable. They need a good witness or someone that knows the shooters to come forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    Nope, can't be a Mexican drug cartel because Janet has willed it so!
    "You're right, it sure can't be mexican cartels they're not here!"

TS calls her "Crapolitano"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    That was my first thought as well. However, as I understand, gang initiations are usually gang on gang or gang on unsuspecting citizen. If an AK47 was used it would also seem a little overboard for a simple initiation, thus, it could easily be cartel. Any way you slice it, they are punks and cowards.
    ...I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid...

William Barret Travis
    Letter From The Alamo Feb 24, 1836

Glorious San Diego, and I intend on keeping it that way!!!

Re: Mexican drug link probed in ambush murder of Texas lawma

[quote="JohnDoe2"]Mexican drug link probed in ambush murder of Texas lawman

I think a lot more of these murders are going to be happening in the fact that the "cats out of the bag" on how our Country feels about illegal invaders. I cannot draw an opinion about whether or not this incident was related to it, but it wouldn't be far fetched to be suspicious. Illegals are already lawless for being here ILLEGALLY, so why should they respect law enforcement??? hmmm.....makes you kind of connect the dots doesn't it??
    <div>"Diversified"*does NOT*mean invading*our Country and forcing their culture and language,**stealing jobs,*using fake ID',s, living on government benefits, and flying their flag over ours! </div>

Quote Originally Posted by stevetheroofer
    TS calls her "Crapolitano"
    Excellent name for her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast