Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexican flag flying higher than American flag in NM!

http://www.lcsun-news.com/fastsearchresults/ci_4384754

Display runs counter to flag etiquette
    By Jason Gibbs Sun-News reporter

The flags flying over Binational Avenue near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry have stirred up controversy with some people who pass through the area on a daily basis because the Mexican flag is higher than the American flag. (Sun-News photo by Shari Vialpando)

SANTA TERESA — Just across from the Santa Teresa Port of Entry, within sight of the U.S. Border Patrol building, the sand dunes and mesquite don't pay much attention to international borders.

But some of those who work in the area of the Verde Santa Teresa Bi-National industrial park are very aware of the border, and what it means to be on the northern side.

The park, which houses several facilities built to accommodate suppliers, custom brokers and logistics companies that serve manufacturing facilities in Juárez, flies three flags at the entryway — those of the United States, Mexico and the state of New Mexico.

The rub lies in the fact the American flag is flown slightly lower than that of Mexico, Hildegard Reisencheid said.

"I don't think the Mexican flag should be flown higher than the American flag," said the 48-year-old naturalized American. "This is the American side and I just don't think that's right."

The Verde Group of El Paso, owners of the industrial park, could not be reached for comment.

The Congressional Research Service on the U.S. Flag Code, Section 7, in part states: "No other flag should be placed above the United States of America" when flags of multiple countries are flown together. Later, the code states "When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace."

It

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also calls for the U.S. flag to be flown to the right of other nations, at the same height. While the U.S. flag in Santa Teresa is flown about a foot lower than the Mexican flag, it is flown on the right.

But that still causes concern to some in the area.

"I don't go flying my German flag above the American flag," Reisencheid said. "I've been in the United States for 30 years. It's a lack of respect. I think it's just because it is in a remote location, a lot of people have not noticed it."

Ernie Vasquez, an Army veteran, agreed.

"As a citizen, I see it as an insult to our country," he said. "There is some disrespect to the flag."

Vasquez, a member of the American Legion Post 36 in El Paso, said he would prefer to see the American flag flown on an equal level as the Mexican flag.

"I don't see why they should be flying another country's flag higher than ours," he said. "I was born here in the U.S. I'm an American first, then later on I am what I am — a human and an ethnic group. That's what I feel."

Jason Gibbs can be reached at jgibbs@lcsun-news.com

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

RETURN TO TOP
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The flags flying over Binational Avenue near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry have stirred up controversy with some people who pass through the area on a daily basis because the Mexican flag is higher than the American flag. (Sun-News photo by Shari Vialpando)
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

Are these flags on US government property?

What is being done to identify the person who ordered the Mexican flag to be higher, and what is being done to resolve the (disrespect to the US flag) problem?

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?

This is a total insult to our country!! They should lower it immediately!!

U.S citizens have had about enough of Mexican arrogance! I'd like to here what Preseidente Boosh thinks of this insult!! They are the enemy as far as I'm concerned now!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Why don't we ask the elected officials what exactly is going on...

Gov. Bill Richardson
    (505) 476-2200

Mayor William Michael Mattiace
    505-541-2067

City Council- 505-541-2066

Terrence Moore, City Manager
    541-2076
    tmoore@las-cruces.org

Exec. Secretary , Rosa Aranda
    (fax 541-2077)

Verde Group
    1790 N Lee Trevino Dr
    El Paso, TX 79936
    (915) 598-7222
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

This flag issue is a huge insult and needs to be dealt with promptly. Those who were involved in the incident should be punished as well.

i realize it's a point of entry, but why don't they just fly US flag on our side and Mexican flag on Mexico's side? would solve the issue.
    "Remember the Alamo!"

Title I, Chapter 4, Section 7(c) of the US Flag Code reads: "No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof."

I know that they like to have flags of both countries on the border. On the Canadian and United States Border going into Buffalo they have each flag at the same height on their side of the invisible border line. The flags are actually on a bridge.

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_4414820

Firm fixes flag flap in Santa Teresa
    By Jason Gibbs Sun-News reporter

LAS CRUCES — A dust-up over a perceived insult to the American flag has ended without sparking an international incident.

But for awhile, the fact the U.S. flag was flown lower than the Mexican flag at an industrial park in Santa Teresa certainly caused some hard feelings.

After the Sun-News reported the flags' placement, along with the New Mexico flag, at the plant owned by Verde Corporate Realty Services of El Paso, e-mails flooded the realty group and spurred quick action.

"We certainly share your concerns regarding the recent display of our flags at Santa Teresa," company spokesman Tom Giba wrote the Sun-News. "The company's outside maintenance contractor clearly made a mistake, and the situation has been corrected."

The flags, displayed in the entryway to the Verde Santa Teresa Bi-National Industrial Park are, in fact, on the United States side of the border. They are within a stone's throw of the U.S. Border Patrol office and the Santa Teresa Port of Entry.

The fact that the U.S. flag was being flown slightly lower than the Mexican flag caused complaints from many who drive through the area regularly. The U.S. Flag Code states that any time the flags of two countries are flown in the same location, the U.S. flag must be to its own right and the flags must be flown at the same height on their own poles.

Among those expressing concern was Bill Rothengass. Given the current global tensions abroad and increasing disrespect to the flag at home, he said the mistake bothered him immensely.

"I was kind of aghast at seeing that," the 67-year-old Las Crucen said. "Especially with everything that's been going on with our flag, it's not tolerable."

Rothengass, who has served with the Doña Ana County Sheriff's Office as a reserve officer for 10 years, was pleased to learn the situation was remedied.

"I've been out of town, and I didn't want to jump to conclusions," he said. "If it's been corrected, then that's great."

Verde's Giba said the oversight was fixed, and steps were taken to ensure it does not occur again.

"We have sent the proper flag etiquette, in accordance with the U.S. Flag Code, to the maintenance company to ensure this does not happen again.

"We are grateful that this was brought to our attention and the problem has been corrected."

Jason Gibbs can be reached at jgibbs@lcsun-news.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast