Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexican President Presses Bush on Border Fence

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 13, 2007
    Mexican President Presses Bush on Border Fence
    By JIM RUTENBERG
    MÉRIDA, Mexico, March 13 — President Filipe Calderón of Mexico used a welcoming ceremony for President Bush here today to voice his opposition to the security fence the United States is building along their shared border.

Wasting no time in pointing up the tensions between Washington and Mexico City, Mr. Calderón also urged Mr. Bush to move more aggressively to create a temporary-worker program. Such a program would decriminalize the millions of Mexicans and others who enter the United States illegally to fill low-paying jobs.

Mr. Calderón said his countrymen “fully respect the right that the government and the people of the United States of America have to decide, within its territory, what will be best for their concerns and security.”

But he said the resources devoted to the security fence would better be used on development: “We do consider in a respectful way that we may more truly stop the migration by building a kilometer of highway in Michoac or Zacatecas than 10 kilometers of walls” on the border.

In his Calderón remarks welcoming Mr. Bush, given at a 17th-century farmhouse that has been converted into a hotel 28 miles outside Mérida, the largest city in the Yucatán peninsula, Mr. Calderón also addressed two other prickly issues with Mexico’s northern neighbor: The perception, widespread here, that the United States has neglected Mexico in the age of terrorism, and the vast American demand for illegal drugs, which fuels criminal violence in Mexico.

“In a meeting like this one,” Mr. Calderón said to Mr. Bush, “you expressed some years ago that there is no relationship all over the world that is more relevant to the United States than that one that you have with Mexico.” It was understandable that the Sept. 11 attacks led to some changes in national priorities in the United States, he said, but “nevertheless, I believe that it is now time to retake the spirit of those words, and to direct our relationship toward a path of mutual prosperity.”

Mr. Calderón, who has made cracking down on crime a high priority for his administration, restated his commitment to fight “against those who wish to poison the bodies and the souls of our young population” through drug trafficking.

“In order to be successful in our struggle, we need the collaboration and the active participation of our neighbor,” he continued, because so long as demand for drugs remains undiminished in the United States, “ it will be very difficult to reduce the supply” in Mexico. At the start of a day that is to include sightseeing at the spectacular Mayan ruins near this city as well as meetings with Mr. Calderón, Mr. Bush pledged to pursue a new immigration policy with the new Democratic-controlled Congress, but he subtly defended his support for stricter border enforcement.

“The United States respects the rule of law,” Mr. Bush said. “But in the debate on migration, I remind my fellow citizens that family values do not stop at the Rio Grande River, that there are decent, hardworking honorable citizens of Mexico who want to make a living for their families.”

Turning to Mr. Calderón, Mr. Bush added, “Because we’re working together, I believe we will make good progress on this important issue. Together, we’re working to ensure that we have a secure and modern border that speeds the legitimate flow of people and commerce, and stops those who threaten our common safety and prosperity.”

Home
    World U.S. N.Y. / Region Business Technology Science Health Sports Opinion Arts Style Travel Jobs Real Estate Automobiles Back to Top
    Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company
    Privacy Policy Search Corrections RSS First Look Help Contact Us Work for Us Site Map
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/13/world ... yt&emc=rss
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Turning to Mr. Calderón, Mr. Bush added, “Because we’re working together, I believe we will make good progress on this important issue. Together, we’re working to ensure that we have a secure and modern border that speeds the legitimate flow of people and commerce, and stops those who threaten our common safety and prosperity.”

jorge do you mean NAU the one us American citizens don't want? i think he's ignoring us, we need to talk louder![/quote]

Banned
    “We do consider in a respectful way that we may more truly stop the migration by building a kilometer of highway in Michoac or Zacatecas than 10 kilometers of walls” on the border.

“nevertheless, I believe that it is now time to retake the spirit of those words, and to direct our relationship toward a path of mutual prosperity.”
    In other words, "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!"

The United States respects the rule of law,” Mr. Bush said. “But in the debate on migration, I remind my fellow citizens that family values do not stop at the Rio Grande River, that there are decent, hardworking honorable citizens of Mexico who want to make a living for their families.”
    And there's a whole lot of decent, hardworking American citizens who want to make a decent living for their families as well.

There's also a whole lot of people comming over the border who aren't decent, hardworking people as well.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    But he said the resources devoted to the security fence would better be used on development: “We do consider in a respectful way that we may more truly stop the migration by building a kilometer of highway in Michoac or Zacatecas than 10 kilometers of walls” on the border.
    Hmmm........could Mexico leadership be were the criminal aliens living among us are getting their sense of entitlement? Why does all of Latin America, especially Mexico, feel the United States owes them something? To anyone paying attention, it is extremely obvious that these folks are doing more to hurt this country than help it.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The perception, widespread here, that the United States has neglected Mexico in the age of terrorism, and the vast American demand for illegal drugs, which fuels criminal violence in Mexico./But he said the resources devoted to the security fence would better be used on development: “We do consider in a respectful way that we may more truly stop the migration by building a kilometer of highway in Michoac or Zacatecas than 10 kilometers of walls” on the border.
    And of course whatever problems Mexico has must be our fault.
    Poor Mexico can't be satisfied with 20 billion in remittances sent out of our country to Mexico every year and the interest payments from the 30 billion in national debt they own or the foreign investment coming from America or the foreign aid Mexico gets from our pocketbooks; if all of this just isn't enough bloodsucking to satisfy you, then I'm sorry Presidente' Calderon you can perch on it and twirl!

Enforce some anti trust laws so the super rich will be forced to break up their monopolies, crack down on corruption and quit blaming US for your mafia state and maybe we'll talk, before that go jump in the lake because you're all wet!

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    The United States respects the rule of law,” Mr. Bush said. “But in the debate on migration, I remind my fellow citizens that family values do not stop at the Rio Grande River, that there are decent, hardworking honorable citizens of Mexico who want to make a living for their families.”
    And there's a whole lot of decent, hardworking American citizens who want to make a decent living for their families as well.

There's also a whole lot of people comming over the border who aren't decent, hardworking people as well.
    How many times has this idiot said this now? About 1000?

How about having all of those (alleged) decent Mexicans start making a living in their own country?

How many more months are we stuck with this cretin?
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.